Week of July 26 --- Goals and To-Dos...

iVillage Member
Week of July 26 --- Goals and To-Dos...
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 11:29am

Did everyone do well last week? Did you get done what you wanted to?

How about this week? Any plans for the last week of July?

CL for

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 11:30am

Last week, my list of to-dos was relatively common-place for me:

1. Pick up CSA delivery between 3 and 7 on Tuesday === DONE

2. Stamping Demonstration Tuesday night - it' a make-and-take so we'll be in and out in a hurry === DONE

3. Stitchery - work on the challenge quilt, the July Bead Journal Project, and Michael Powell's "Greek Window" === only "Greek Window" got worked on.

4. Housecleaner comes on Wednesday === DONE

5. Bills and financial records === bills paid, records NOT updated

Additionally, DH's garden was on the Black Swamp Hosta and Daylily Society garden tour so we hosted 30+ members from 10 to Noon on Saturday morning.

So this week, I hope to accomplish a little more…

1. Pick up CSA delivery between 3 and 7 on Tuesday - here's hoping we get something more than salad greens this week as DH is beginning to mutter that so far, it hasn't lived up to it's fee.

2. Stamping Demonstration Tuesday night

3. Stitchery - work on the challenge quilt, the July Bead Journal Project, and Michael Powell's "Greek Window". Green Window is in backstitch mode so it should be finished this week and I hope to do my July beaded piece as well. Not sure about the quilt

4. Housecleaner comes on Wednesday

5. Bills and financial records

6. DH's high school class reunion starts Friday night and runs through Sunday AM

7. Take "Garden Sampler" and "Floral Alphabet" to the county fair office for judging on Sunday afternoon.

Edited to add that I forgot there is a dinner/seminar on indentity theft Wednesday night - Dh can't go but the financial advisor is pressing me to go.

Edited 7/26/2010 12:46 pm ET by cl-thatyank

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 12:43pm

I did most of the quilting on a lt. blue & white double Irish Chain baby quilt on the machine in the frame yesterday. The quilting curves don't always flow real smoothly, & there are some places I'll need to rip out where I overstitched into the hand embroidery design area, but thread tension is good, & overall look of it appears pretty pleasing, at least while still rolled up & progressing. The Brother doesn't give me a real handy option for getting the needle up to pull threads to the top, so I've just used the thread cutter option & stopped & started wherever I needed to w/o using that little trick. Made myself a pantograph of a swirly loopy A-B-C pattern. Of course I still want to do the 2 or 3 strand lt. blue embroidery floss outlining of the color-book pix in the 8 all white "center blocks" by hand & started & ripped out 2 different border designs that just didn't work for me - just getting in too big a rush to finish w/o really planning it since the rest went so quickly! I did work on sorting & counting the rest of the dark & light rectangles & squares for the guild donation quilt & pressing the ones that are sewn together so far, but haven't done any piecing on it since I brought it home.

Housekeepers were in last Wednesday. I got about half the garden space overgrown grass weeded out, & DH & I spent Saturday mowing & trimming up the yard. Worked out well to be outside already as our area lost power for about 4 hrs mid afternoon so we had no A/C or water (we're on a well) anyway. I spend so much of the summer inside that I really have to remind myself to stop & really let myself cool down while working outside. 108 in the shade is HOT!..

D27 & current SO stayed over Saturday nite on return drive from San Diego & headed out Sunday AM. She will fly back Thursday, rent a car, & meet up w/S20 at the Vegas airport. She's hoping to get the last of her business taken care of today & tomorrow so she can stay over til Sunday & fly out close to when S20 does & be ready to fly out to Korea Monday early. Got a call from my Mom in Iowa last nite & since my Dad's surgery got scheduled for late August, she bought herself bus tickets to head out Wednesday & will be in Vegas Thursday mid-day to be w/us this weekend. Looks like the 31st I've been aiming for just might work out. My SIL & a nephew in Sacramento, CA have expressed interest in joining us, but not realy thinking they will be able to make it - tho I've been trying to tell them that getting my family together once every 3 to 5 years is about the extent of what we seem to manage so in order to see everyone, this is really the only opportunity that will present itself for another little while... Now that I've nailed down our family, I really would like to open it up to people in the community who have followed S23's progress & supported his academic ventures & prowess - teachers, schoolmates, etc..., but w/less than a week, don't know that the idea is really so practical w/most probably wanting to be inside most of the time anyway. Just keep reminding myself, that just getting our family together is a major feat in itself! Just need to get a confirmation whether D35 & family will be staying overnite so I can divvy up sleeping spaces & make up beds, & put together some food & drink for the weekend, & we're off...

S23 heading down to Phoenix today to stay over for his Bar Exam tomorrow & Wednesday, dinner & get together w/friends down there, & head back home probably Thursday. Then to await results (in 10 wks) & find a job!

We're off & running into another week - but the jr hi kids went back to school today & I'm not there & there are still 2 f/t math teacher openings starting out w/long term subs! :) (Of course w/this years house improvements, this summer's celebrations, & my quilting machine etc.., I really should be working to make it easier to pay this stuff off right now!!)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 12:50pm
This family gathering you are organizing sound quite the "bomb"! With 108° heat, though, I'd try to keep it so everyone can be inside if they need... not everyone is able to take that kind of weather!

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 3:48pm

LAST WEEK -
1 Complete design of tote bag with pockets to fit MY items. Using fabric from failed purse project. NOPE - it keeps evolving everytime I see another pattern on line! LOL

2 Sewing day with DGrS on Thursday. Project is water bottle totes from washcloths. I need to make a sample monogram on the embroidery machine first. I think we'll visit an indoor pool later in the day, as the 100+ heat index at outdoor pool will be too much for me. DONE, except for we substituted a movie (Sorcer's Apprentice) for pool. One girl had an ear infection anyway.

3 Walk or ride bike 30 minutes each day. Need to do this very early, as heat wave is still here. NOPE - humidity was so high & temp up to 80 at 8:30 AM that I just didn't want to chance it. DH says I should trade the bike in for a motor skooter. Not a bad idea, at least I could get some errands done around town.

4 More designing for pant suit embroidery addition. I took a "before" photo to get me going. Noticed it has a big back yoke, so it's back to the drawing boards. I see some BIG butterflies there. IN PROCESS. I posted earlier about using duck cloth for samples, so have checked out a few more designs I have on CDs. Have finally learned how to save a design to the machine.

THIS WEEK -

DH's model RR buddy is here for 4 nights and my hobby room becomes his bedroom. Luckily, he's content with a blow up mattress and I can move it out of the way. Still not sure how much I will get done.

1 Hair trim Monday AM. DONE

2 Take over DH's weekly grocery shopping on Tues, as the guys are taking a day trip to a RR museum in St. Louis. I won't have to cook supper, as they are bringing home the best corned beef we've ever tasted from St L. Other than that, I'll have the house to myself. May sit & watch chick flicks & eat ice cream all day, who knows :)

3 Sit (or keep company as they call it) with youngest DGrDs early Thurs., while there DM takes a job test.

4 Heat is coming back, I'm sorely tempted to join the local gym just to use the aerobic machines.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 6:34pm
Ah, chick flicks and bons bons --- the perfect day in!

CL for

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 8:44pm

The first movie will be Hope Floats, with Sandra Bullock & Harry Connick, Jr. Then it will be Something to Talk About.

I'm thinking a box of something like ice cream bars or sandwiches would do nicely. Wish I could find real Good Humor bars - the kind with strawberry coating and crunchy stuff on the outside.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 11:23pm
I've seen "Hope Floats" but I don't remember "Something to Talk About". Still, anything with Sandra Bullock (I really liked "While You Were Sleeping"!)...

CL for

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 9:46am

Got the kids' first pair of lounge pants done last week, and they pronounced the result comfy.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 12:20pm

Julia Roberts & Dennis Quaid are in Something to Talk About (he's the philandering hubby). But - the best pair in the show is Robert Duvall & Gena Rowlands as her parents. Best line from Gena when she is mad at her DH is "you faht in your sleep". She literally draws out the "r" to sound like "ah", very Southern.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 12:32pm

I can imagine how tired you could be after a day at Six Flags, especially in this heat!

Have fun at your sewing class! Where is it being taught? At a sewing shop? Fabric store? School? Or...?

CL for

Pages