Girls dress project finished

iVillage Member
Girls dress project finished
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 11:47am

The fabric is pre-shirred elastic on top, all cotton. Girls learned to mark fabric & cut off strip on bottom to make straps (which they sewed & turned with my tube turner, then inserted elastic. I sewed the side seams together, left 2" for growth, then they used overlock on raw edges of seams & bottom edge. What took so long to finish was getting straps in right position to satisfy DIL's modesty concern. Eldest DGrD is becoming a fashionista, hence the added neck scarf on hottest day of the year.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 5:02pm
I bet they're very proud of their work! Good job to all three of you!

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucketteachers.gif image by karileighthsew.gif image by karileigh

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 6:15pm

Love them! What a great project and they are so professionally done! They should be proud, as should your DIL!

And you are clearly a great teacher!

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 10:18pm

One of my goals was to acquaint them with each machine. The eldest was reticent, but now plows on, albeit at a slower machine speed :) Tuesday shopping trip had them looking at knit vs wovens for upcoming projects. Some projects have been to show what can be made with odd materials (water bottles carriers from washcloths) and rice cooling bags from scraps in my stash. BTW - they made these bags on Tuesday, they put them in the freezer and were amazed at how fast they cooled and already have decided that it is the perfect solution to being overheated these days. Next week's project will be a ruffled T shirt dresses from 2 shirts I found on clearance today.

The tutorials on re use here have been a great resource.

Jacquie