County Fair Success!

iVillage Member
County Fair Success!
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 6:12pm
"Garden Sampler" and "Floral Alphabet" BOTH won first prize at the fair!

"Garden Sampler" (sorry for the glare --- they didn't hang them but put them in a glass display case and there was no straight-on photo angle) won first in 14 ct sampler category:

"Floral Alphabet" was 16 ct, but they didn't have a 16ct category in samplers so they let me enter it in 18ct and it won too!:

CL for

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 6:31pm

Well, we all knew your did award winning work. Great that it was recognized. I never had the guts to enter in our local fair & now they hardly have any needlework represented. Even the 4H & Scouts don't do much with dressmaking.

Congrats!

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 11:21pm

I think this fair is headed in that direction, sadly. Usually, the needlework occupies most of the building. This year, it only had a little better than 1/4 of it --- the back was cakes and other baked goods, the other half was the flower show! While we didn't stay long and look carefully at everything, there were a lot fewer quilts hanging up and I have to say I don't remember seeing any crochet or knit items, usually the other big class!

Of course, by the time I found my pieces, I was so "chuffed" that I didn't even try to find other kind of needlework!

CL for

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 7:25am

Way to go Carol. Congratulations...you have very beautiful samplers there.

How many projects were you allowed to enter per class? I ask because our fair was only allowing one project per needlework class so after the fair last year I sent an email to the fair board and asked them to review the entry limit and maybe allow two per class to get more entries and maybe more interest. When we got the premium book they had changed it to two entries. But, my dh is bumming because that may have caused them to review the photography dept. now they can only have one per class. It had been two but space is very limited and with digital photography more and more people are entering pictures every year.

Ladybug II

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 11:18am

Ours was only one per category (2 entries were allowed in some other "departments" according to the generic entry fees but each department had its own rules). There were 30 classes in the Needlework "Department", including two professional classes which were new this year, and one special contest called "Down on the Farm" which was this year's fair theme.

Each class had several categories under them. The most classes were for sewn items (4 for quilt, several for home decor and linens and the like, a couple for clothing). Knit afghans had the fewest sub-categories (5) while infant wear had 17!

For example, "framed needlework pictures" was one class and it had 10 categories ranging from needlepoint and stamped cross stitch to cross stitch on various fabric counts and even a category for cross stitch "sets" of related pictures... If I stitched pictures, I could have entered one piece in each category in that class...

Premiums were offered only in the quilt and knit/crocheted categories (as well as a premium for both the junior and youth division classes). The winners of these can't enter the next year... So I guess, since embroidery had no premiums, I can enter next year if I want!

We looked at the photography exhibit yesterday and it was HUGE! Badly organized, but huge... According to the entry booklet, in photography, one can enter in only ONE division (odd thing is, they don't use the NAME division so I'm not clear on that - I'm guessing they mean "section", like Professional v different age groups in non-professional) but can have up to 8 entries in that division, no more than 4 in any one class under it (like professional section had four classifications: landscape, portrait, wedding and sports action)...

I'm thinking that there is no consistency between classes, let alone fairs! Cross state lines like you and I do and it gets even more confusing!

Hey come on down and enter here next year! I know there are no residency requirements as the winner in every single embroidery class/category last year was from Michigan! That woman hit every embroidery medium and fabric count!

CL for