Fri, 03-04-2005 - 10:30am

...A Friday Five :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2005 - 10:42am

1.  Name / Age / Location

Anne, 49, Scotland.

2.  What yarn arts do you do?  For how long?

Knitting - about 43 years? I knew how to knit before I went to the Brownies at age 7.

Crochet - I taught myself when I was a teenager.

3.  Do you do any other crafts?

I sew, do cross stitch, quilt. Once the websites are back up and running you'll be able to see it all.

4.  How much time do you think you spend on crafts a week?

Goodness knows! If I'm not at the computer, I'm doing something crafty. (I'm very good at avoiding doing the housework! LOL)

5.  Any projects in the works right now?  Future projects planned?

I'm crocheting a huge granny square which will eventually turn into a blanket. It's meant to be a way to use up all the ends of balls of yarn but every time I go near the wool shop I buy another ball for the blanket! :o)

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2005 - 11:09am

I'll go next!

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2005 - 11:29am

1. Name / Age / Location === Carol, 62, NW Ohio

2. What yarn arts do you do? For how long? === knitting, retaught myself to knit last year and to purl this year, after a nearly 30-year layoff! Trying to teach myself crochet, but not having a lot of luck with it.

3. Do you do any other crafts? === I'm a cross-stitcher and embroiderer (hand only --- crewel, needlepoint, blackwork, redwork, traditional free embroidery, etc.) and I have taken about 3 years' worth of quilting classes (but never finished a single quilt --- lots of pieced tops, not a quilting stitch among 'em). I also do a lot of rubber stamping...

4. How much time do you think you spend on crafts a week? === a minimum of three hours a night (while watching television! LOL I stitch; then knit when my eyes get tired of focusing on tiny stitches in fine fabric!)

5. Any projects in the works right now? Future projects planned? === all my cross-stitch WIPs are in my signature where I have set up a "rotation" in an attempt to clear the books and make room for something new. There is also a stripy blue afghan in the drawer next to my bed, waiting for me to get up the gumption to get back to knitting it.

Planned --- I have BAGS of yarn (pinks, pale blues, browns and black-grey-white) which I hope to do some ponchos with, or maybe some of those Mobius scarves... I have fabric to make pillows (throw) and tie-backs for my bedroom (greens and blues), and to make throw pillows for the living room (Chinese red silk) and kitchen sitting area (if I ever finish the cross-stitched "Shades of Aubergine --- purple velvet for the back! LOL).

I have lots of cross-stitch projects kitted up and still more begging to be. And quite a few needlepoint ones as well... But they HAVE to wait until I clear the UFOs. I promised myself...

And the UFOs --- quilt, cross-stitch, crewel (only one, thank goodness) and needlepoint! They FILL my crafting area!

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Go n-eírí an bóthar leat.

WIP Rotation:

Mondays: "Snowman Alphabet", designed by Linda Gillum, chart in Cross Stitch Gold, issue 17

Tuesdays: "Shades of Aubergine", designed by Mary Hickmott, chart in New Stitches issue 131

Wednesdays: "Amish Quilt Sampler", designed by Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum for Told in a Garden

Thursdays: "Blue Porcelain Collection", design by Di Noyce, chart in Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch and Beading, issue 57

Fridays: "Blue and White China", design by Leslie Teare, chart in Cross Stitch Gold issue 20

Saturdays: "Golden Gate Avenue", design by Nancy Rossi for Janlynn

Sundays: "Winter's Twilight" stocking, design by Dennis P.Lewan for Dimensions Gold

CL for "

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2005 - 12:44pm

1. CJ/ 28 / Alabama

2. My only yarn art is knitting. I just learned about 3 weeks ago.

3. Scrapbook, cross-stitch, quilt, scrapbook and stamp (and I love to cook and bake)

4. It varies. I knit or cross-stitch in the evening if I'm watching TV - I have a few shows that I watch faithfully. I scrapbook at least one crop a month, but sometimes two. I quilt when I have a project. My next one is a train quilt for my youngest son. He will be getting his big boy bed this summer or fall.

5. I'm knitting a scarf using fun fur. I'm cross-stitching an cherub. I'm always working on a scrapbook. And I'm trying to perfect a homemade wheat bread recipe.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2005 - 9:28pm

1. Name / Age / Location Julie---34----East Central Mississippi

2. What yarn arts do you do? For how long? Crochet maybe 2 months or so

3. Do you do any other crafts? sewing related

4. How much time do you think you spend on crafts a week? all in all a couple of hours

5. Any projects in the works right now? Future projects planned? I'm trying to perfect kitchen pads,dishcloths,and dishtowels....I have an afghan that I'm working on a lap loom and a baby afghan that right now looks more like a scarf LOL.....

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2005 - 10:35pm

1. Name / Age / Location

Katherine, Kath, and Kat if I'm being lazy. 35. Michigan

2. What yarn arts do you do? For how long?

Knitting, but know how to crochet. My mom taught me to knit and crochet when I was 7 but it was too boring for me then. I retaught myself two years ago.

3. Do you do any other crafts?

Scrapbooking, rubberstamping, and sewing, though it's been a long time since I did any of them.

4. How much time do you think you spend on crafts a week?

Not nearly enough. I have four kids and I'm a full time student and I did have a part time job until recently. I had to quit at the beginning of the week because I injured my shoulder three weeks ago. Seems I may have bursitis. Yippy (sarcasm here LOL).

5. Any projects in the works right now? Future projects planned?

Wow...okay.....WIP's first

1) A long cardigan for me (working on it for almost a year now, only the back is done).
2) A V neck sweater for my DH (one and a half sleeves and a ribbed neck band are all that's left to do).
3) A "trial" shawl that I plan to wear even though the yarn is cheap and kind of yucky feeling. Despite that it's the most beautiful colors. (I'm trying to get this done before my break is over this week....ROFL two days left....not sure I can reach that goal.)
4) One sock. It's my first one and it's a little strange looking but man am I learning things!

Future WIP's
1) My "real" shawl. It's the Fiber Trends Shoal Water Pattern with Rayon yarn from Blue Heron yarns. The yarn cost me $90!!! The most expensive yarn I've ever bought in my entire life so hence the reason for a "trial" shawl which isn't the same pattern but my first time using yarn overs and k2tog's to make eyelets.
2) I have a sweater picked out for my oldest son, but haven't bought the yarn for it.

I usually have four to six things going at once to stave off boredom and to have varying levels of concentration. Some times I need to focus on something to take my mind off of stuff or I need repetitive stitches that relax me so I can just think about stuff.

Well, with that said, I can disappear for long periods depending on what my homework schedule is like. I'm going in to teaching at the secondary level (middle school/high school) with a major in Earth Science and possibly a minor in history, but I'm not sure about the minor yet.

Knitting is my meditation/stress reliever and my "me" time. I'm looking forward to sharing with everyone as often as I am able!

Keep Knitting On! Kath

~Kat, kittyprints4

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-05-2005 - 5:10pm
I do the same thing with yarn - my fiance gets mad because it keeps piling up, yet I have so many new projects completed :)

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-05-2005 - 5:12pm
Those mobius scarves look really neat - you'll have to let me know if you decide to make one!

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-05-2005 - 5:14pm
Are you going to try and crochet too?

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-05-2005 - 5:15pm
Are you going to try knitting too?

Pages