QOTW - Yarn

iVillage Member
QOTW - Yarn
Mon, 03-07-2005 - 12:32pm
What type of yarn do you use for most projects and why?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_hafox1
Mon, 03-07-2005 - 1:34pm

Whatever has struck my fancy in the store!

Since I don't do things with complex patterns (yet), I don't really go looking for a particular kind of yarn, but if there is a sale bin and something really pretty, I may go looking for other yarn styles that coordinate.

That's how I came up with the yarns in my afghans: a worsted weight crinkly (almost like a chenille but not) variegated navy and another of the same line but in a brighter blue got mixed with every blue, purple and green fun fur yarn I could find! LOL All because I saw the fun fur on sale!

So, naturally, I MUST stay away from the local yarn shop which sells the really fancy expensive yarns. I'd end up with a cupboard full of miscellaneous skeins simply because they are beautiful!

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Go n-eírí an bóthar leat.

WIP Rotation:

Mondays: "Snowman Alphabet", designed by Linda Gillum, chart in Cross Stitch Gold, issue 17

Tuesdays: "Shades of Aubergine", designed by Mary Hickmott, chart in New Stitches issue 131

Wednesdays: "Amish Quilt Sampler", designed by Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum for Told in a Garden

Thursdays: "Blue Porcelain Collection", design by Di Noyce, chart in Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch and Beading, issue 57

Fridays: "Blue and White China", design by Leslie Teare, chart in Cross Stitch Gold issue 20

Saturdays: "Golden Gate Avenue", design by Nancy Rossi for Janlynn

Sundays: "Winter's Twilight" stocking, design by Dennis P.Lewan for Dimensions Gold

CL for "

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-07-2005 - 7:16pm
I'm new to yarn crafts (somewhat)....so I am not too sure about the names...I've tried the peaches and cream 100% cotton yarns for dish cloths and such and I like it....I've tried 1 kind of baby yarn.....I've got 3 drawer fulls of "generic" acrylic yarn that I used for plastic canvas when I did that last year and now am planning on using it in crochet and knitting but haven't found the right project yet.....
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-07-2005 - 10:44pm
I'm using cottontots for the blanket I'm doing at the moment and the scarf I'm knitting is pure new zealand wool but mostly i use acrylic coz I dont want to spend a lot of money on yarn till I'm confident that I can do a project properly heh ^^
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2005 - 11:38am

I usually use Red Heart yarn from WalMart - simply because it is cheaper than most and you get a huge roll....plus it comes in a huge variety of colors.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2005 - 11:39am

So, naturally, I MUST stay away from the local yarn shop which sells the really fancy expensive yarns. I'd end up with a cupboard full of miscellaneous skeins simply because they are beautiful!

Me too!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2005 - 11:40am

I used to be lost with names of yarns too...soon enough you'll find your favorites :)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2005 - 11:41am
That scarf with pure wool would be so warm!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2005 - 2:12pm

For most projects I use the Red Heart as mentioned. But when I have scratchers to do, I use I think a brand called Aunt

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2005 - 3:22pm

Yarn! Yarn! Yarn, yarn yarnnnnn!!! I love yarn!

Ok, now that I got that out of my system....

My two favorite brands are Lion and Plymouth. I usually use Lion Brand and have had great results with it and have made something out of most of the ones that are offered at Joanns or Michaels.

I've made one baby outfit out of the Plymouth DK and I'm working on a cardigan with Plymouth Encore and I have to say that for a few cents more it's really nice yarn! I think I may go buy the Plymouth Yarn at my LYS from now on, it's really not that much more in price.

I've also made a couple of baby outfits out of a cotton from Bernat's. And I also have used Moda Dea novelty yarns and something else that bran escapes me. Those were for scarves.

That really expensive yarn I bought (Blue Heron brand) is calling to me and getting louder and louder. The gauge swatch I made up was just so unbelievably luxurious! I can NOT wait to knit with it! But I have other things I need to finish first and I'm saving it for my "reward" lol.

I think sometimes it's well worth the price for luxury yarn, especially if it will become a garment. But I'll tell ya, I'd never make an afgan or rug or table item with anything but Red Heart. It washes beautifully and they are seriously improving their softness.

Man I love yarn. I told my DH the other day that I want get a whole lot of really soft furry yarn and roll in it. Much like they show people doing with money. LOL OF course he thinks I'm totally wacked.

Okay, thank you for letting me divulge and indulge my fetish.

ROFL, I can't believe I'm going to share this with everyone. ((HUGS))) Kat

~Kat, kittyprints4

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-08-2005 - 6:04pm

For you, Kat, to roll in! LOL

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Go n-eírí an bóthar leat.

WIP Rotation:

Mondays: "Snowman Alphabet", designed by Linda Gillum, chart in Cross Stitch Gold, issue 17

Tuesdays: "Shades of Aubergine", designed by Mary Hickmott, chart in New Stitches issue 131

Wednesdays: "Amish Quilt Sampler", designed by Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum for Told in a Garden

Thursdays: "Blue Porcelain Collection", design by Di Noyce, chart in Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch and Beading, issue 57

Fridays: "Blue and White China", design by Leslie Teare, chart in Cross Stitch Gold issue 20

Saturdays: "Golden Gate Avenue", design by Nancy Rossi for Janlynn

Sundays: "Winter's Twilight" stocking, design by Dennis P.Lewan for Dimensions Gold

CL for "

Pages