Question About Increasing

iVillage Member
Question About Increasing
Fri, 03-11-2005 - 7:15pm

Hello everyone,

I have newly discovered the joy (and addiction!) of knitting. I hope there is someone who might be able to help with a question on increasing. I have been focusing on basic patterns of dish cloths but I wanted to try something bigger like a blanket and I have found a wonderful pattern. It starts with a cast on of 137 stitches and after knitting seven rows, the pattern calls to increase evenly 30 stitches to end up with 167 stiches. The instruction in the book to increase says to add one to the number of increases required so that 30 stitches becomes 31. Divide that into the number of stitches on the needle - 137/31= 4.41. Then subtract one from this number - 4.41 - 1 = 3.41. This number is the approximate number of stitches in between each increase. Then of couse the instructions say to adjust as necessary. This number between doesn't seem right because I think it would amount to around 192 stitches. I am confused about this and even trying to adjust the number, I cannot find what increase would give me 167 stitches.

I would really appreciate any help that readers could provide. This seems like a basic instruction that I need to learn to move on to more complicated patterns.

Thank you so much!

Angela

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-12-2005 - 11:10am

Hi Angela!

That was a tough one :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-12-2005 - 1:26pm

I can't thank you enough for your reply. I tried an online calculator but it came up with only 29 extra stitches instead of the 30 required. Your directions really make sense and it will really help with figuring out increases for future projects, too. Thanks for all the effort you gave to help me. I can't wait to start!

Angela

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2005 - 10:55am
Glad I could help Angela!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2005 - 12:53pm

Yes, thanks, Heather - I tried it out and was thrilled that it worked! Your directions mentioned to:

K3, increase
K4, increase
K5, increase
Repeat K4, increase, K5, increase until I end with three stitches. However, I ended up with four. I went back to ensure I had counted correctly and they looked in order, so I just ended with two series of K5, increase, instead of - K4, increase, K5, increase. I think this should be ok - or I hope! Since I'm so new at this, I could have misinterpreted your directions. I did end up with the 167 stitches I needed thanks to your help - I was getting so frustrated!

Thanks, again, Heather. It's so wonderful to have this support.

Angela Schmitt