New at Knitting...

iVillage Member
New at Knitting...
Wed, 03-16-2005 - 10:06am

Hi,

For Christmas my Mom made me a beautiful scarf. So I decided that I wanted to knit one for myself. Since my mom lives to far away for her to teach me. I went to a knitting store and sat with someone for a few hours. I have been practicing. One of the problems that I'm having is with the end stitch, it seems like it is always loose, I even try to make it tigher, but it doesn't work. Also how do you keep the edges even? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Donna

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2005 - 10:35am

Hi Donna!

I'm not sure what I did to overcome that problem, but it's a common one for many beginners. My first scarf was quite wavy and bumpy! LOL

Just trying to keep the last one or two stitches on each end snug. But I've been knitting for 2 and a half years and still I get loose ones myself. So there is my problem in trying to help you with yours! *grin*

I'm going to have to go see if there is a trouble shooting area in my Encylopedia of Knitting book. If I find something I will let you know. Anyway, knit on and welcome to a wonderful art/craft!!!

~Kat

~Kat, kittyprints4

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-17-2005 - 10:09am

Hi Donna!

Like Kat said, I think this is a common problem for beginners...my suggestion is to try and maintain the same tension on the yarn at the beginning of the row as at the end...that may tighten that last stich up.

I always pull the last stich REALLY tight, and then it always loosens to be about the same as the other ones...I don't know how it works though! :)

Just stick with it, and you'll see your progress right away!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting