Newby at crochet and confused

iVillage Member
Newby at crochet and confused
Thu, 03-24-2005 - 8:24pm

Hello
I am new here and I'm hoping someone can help me with my confusion. I decided to learn to crochet, bought myelf a book and began by making squares. The book I used was one originally published in the 60's and has been reissued several times. I then bought myself a Readers Digest book of knitting and crochet stitches and settled in to making myself a lacy tunic, so I thought. The 2 books I have have confused me, I hope my explanation doesn't confuse you! I thought I knew how to do a double crochet and a treble but have discovered that was is described in the 60's book as a double crochet is, in the readers digest book, a single. The half treble in the 60's book is a half double in the readers digest...............confused, I certainly am!

I an wondering if the names of stitches here in the UK are different to those in the US, the 60's book being a UK edition, the Readers Digest book has a printed price in $'s inside the cover.
Can someone shed some light on this?

Thankyou for your time
Regards Di

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2005 - 9:48pm
You are right --- UK terms are different from US terms.

from http://www.yarnfwd.com/crochet.html

USUK
chain(ch)chain(ch)
single crochet (sc)double crochet (dc)
double crochet (dc)treble (tr)
half double crochet (hdc)half treble (htr)
triple crochet (trc)double treble (dtr)

slip stitch (sl st)slip stitch (sl st)

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

WIP Rotation:

Mondays: "Snowman Alphabet", designed by Linda Gillum, chart in Cross Stitch Gold, issue 17

Tuesdays: "Shades of Aubergine", designed by Mary Hickmott, chart in New Stitches issue 131

Wednesdays: "Amish Quilt Sampler", designed by Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum for Told in a Garden

Thursdays: "Blue Porcelain Collection", design by Di Noyce, chart in Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch and Beading, issue 57

Fridays: "Blue and White China", design by Leslie Teare, chart in Cross Stitch Gold issue 20

Saturdays: "Golden Gate Avenue", design by Nancy Rossi for Janlynn

Sundays: "Winter's Twilight" stocking, design by Dennis P.Lewan for Dimensions Gold

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-25-2005 - 5:40am
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I had looked and looked and not found anything................at least it will keep me on my toes :)
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-26-2005 - 3:06pm
hi and welcome....
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-26-2005 - 7:32pm

Hi Di and Welcome!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-26-2005 - 9:22pm

Thank you for the welcome.............I am sorry to have just crashed in without an intro.

I'm Di, from the UK obviously from my question :) I am a Mum of 3 lads, a daughter wasn't to be but I am blessed with the son's I have. My sister taught me to knit when I was about 8 or 9, not easy with me being a lefty and her a righty. I most enjoy using Aran or chunky wool as I like the challenge of the cables and bobbles that go with that sort of knit. I am learning to crochet as I absolutely adore the lacy tunics that can be made, handy cos they're coming back in to fashion over here. I'm about 2/3's done on this http://www.coatsandclark.com/fun_and_free/crochet_thread/lc1345.htm and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Well thats me in a nutshell.
Regards Di

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-26-2005 - 11:07pm
That is spectacular! And you are just learning? WOW!

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

WIP Rotation:

Mondays: "Snowman Alphabet", designed by Linda Gillum, chart in Cross Stitch Gold, issue 17

Tuesdays: "Shades of Aubergine", designed by Mary Hickmott, chart in New Stitches issue 131

Wednesdays: "Amish Quilt Sampler", designed by Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum for Told in a Garden

Thursdays: "Blue Porcelain Collection", design by Di Noyce, chart in Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch and Beading, issue 57

Fridays: "Blue and White China", design by Leslie Teare, chart in Cross Stitch Gold issue 20

Saturdays: "Golden Gate Avenue", design by Nancy Rossi for Janlynn

Sundays: "Winter's Twilight" stocking, design by Dennis P.Lewan for Dimensions Gold

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-28-2005 - 10:30am
What a beautiful pattern! You'll have to share the finished project with us!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting