QOTW - Remember when?

iVillage Member
QOTW - Remember when?
Mon, 04-11-2005 - 10:43am

Who taught you to knit or crochet?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-11-2005 - 5:18pm

My grandma taught me to knit and crochet when I about nine....I caught onto crochet fast, but gave up on knitting.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-11-2005 - 6:26pm

It's been so long!

I THINK my college roommate taught me to knit. I don't remember kintting before then, at least.

My Gran tried to teach me to crochet and gave me up as a lost cause. Given my struggles now with single crochet, I can see why!

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

WIP Rotation:

Mondays: "Snowman Alphabet", designed by Linda Gillum, chart in Cross Stitch Gold, issue 17

Tuesdays: "Shades of Aubergine", designed by Mary Hickmott, chart in New Stitches issue 131

Wednesdays: "Amish Quilt Sampler", designed by Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum for Told in a Garden

Thursdays: "Blue Porcelain Collection", design by Di Noyce, chart in Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch and Beading, issue 57

Fridays: "Blue and White China", design by Leslie Teare, chart in Cross Stitch Gold issue 20

Saturdays: "Golden Gate Avenue", design by Nancy Rossi for Janlynn

Sundays: "Winter's Twilight" stocking, design by Dennis P.Lewan for Dimensions Gold

CL for "

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 10:31am
I taught myself earlier this year.I used the idiot's guide to knitting/crochet as a guide-it's really informative.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 11:17am

Well, I started teaching myself on the Susan Bates kit. I managed to learn the non-Continental cast-on and knit stitch but I couldn't figure out the Purl stitch just from reading and looking at the pictures. So I signed up for a class at my local Michael's and the teacher there is WONDERFUL. She is from Switzerland and is certified to teach crafts of all kinds to people of all ages. She knits and crochets, tats, weaves, you name it. My grandmother and my mother are both crocheters though my mom hasn't done it in years. I think she should get back into it as a means of stress relief. Seeing my own hands knit makes me think of my grandmother crocheting when I was a child. She did teach me a little crocheting when I was younger but I prefer knitting.

Great resources . .. Knitty.com and the Knitting community at LiveJournal.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com -->
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 12:38pm

My mom taught me when I was 7 or 8 but I had no patience for it. Then we took a crochet class together and I didn't like that either. Then we took a quilting class together and I never got farther than cutting the fabric LOL.

Then I grew up.

Along came a Martha Stewart mag with a big article about knitting and I bought some yarn and a set of US 11 needles. The rest is history. My mom threw all her knitting stuff at me and I've been happily using it. I'm very thankful for needle gauges because many of the needles she gave me are canadian and have a TOTALLY different sizing system.

I also retaught myself crochet too, though I still don't like it as much as I like knitting.

So that's my story LOL. ~Kath

~Kat, kittyprints4

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 12:44pm

I started crocheting about 1 1/2 years ago. I asked an elderly aunt to show me the basics but aside from that it's pretty much self-taught...using books and a Coats & Clark cd-rom.

I've got a lot of web-sites for free patterns...too many to post here...but willing to share if anyone needs to look for something in particular.

Martha

Martha

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 12:49pm

My great aunt taught me how to knit. I was probably about 6 or 7. I only learned how to knit and purl and make slippers. A few years later, a different aunt, tried to teach me crochet.It didnt stick. Then after I was married,(our 26th anniversary is