help me get started!

iVillage Member
help me get started!
Thu, 04-14-2005 - 1:31am
I am about to start a baby afghan that requires working in rounds (basically you make a bunch of flowers then I think its mostly double crochets around them...you end up with a bunch of these hexagons I think they end up, and then you attach them all together...hard to explain). Anyways, I was recently shown a simple way of starting a circle, instead of doing the chain and then connecting, you wrap the yarn around your left hand (if you crochet right handed) twice, then you start crocheting right into the circle you formed and pull the loose end through to tighten. Problem is, I can't remember how to start it....I am just doing single crochets, do I chain first and then start my singles? Or do I just start them? I hope somebody knows what I am talking about, I am not good at explaining. A detailed explanation of which pieces to grab where would be great, once I get the circle started I am fine. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-15-2005 - 8:38am

Well, I crochet though I'm a much better knitter....so with that said I'll give it a try.

I would chain the number that the directions say, then join them somehow to make the ring. I always start by crocheting IN the circle and not in the chains of the circle. That way if I didn't join it "correctly" no one will see anyway. LOL

The wrapping the yarn around the finger...I can understand how that would work but I'd be hard pressed to explain it to someone in text LOL. I'm a visual learner.

I wouldn't sweat the circle so much because once the whole thing is sewn together it'll just be a minor detail. Of course I'd be careful to make them somewhat the same size LOL, I think a hole the size of a quarter would stand out surrounded by ones the size of a pea. Does that make sense?

Here's a link to some good instructions, I'll do it from the main page so you can pick right or left handed. I hope I've helped some and I hope you afghan turns out beautiful!

http://www.crochet.org/lessons/lesson.html

~Kat

~Kat, kittyprints4

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-15-2005 - 9:17am
Luckily I went back to the crochet store and looked through many, many books. Most of them do not have this technique as I believe it is more of a shortcut. I finally found it in "Crocheting School-A Complete Course" by Sterling Publishing Co. So of course I spend $25 and bought it...its a lot to pay to learn how to do a circle, but it looked like a good resource in many other ways too. Thanks for your help!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-15-2005 - 10:16am

Hi - Welcome to the board!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting