Hi! Kind of new here, and I have a ???

iVillage Member
Hi! Kind of new here, and I have a ???
Mon, 06-27-2005 - 11:37am

I was going to make a ripple afghan, for a friend, but one of the steps, in particular, was driving me nutso.

The instructions are V stitch 2X, DC in next 8 STS, DEC DC, SK 2 CHs, DEC DC, DC in next 8 STS.

I am fine, until I get to the DEC DC, SK 2 CHs, DEC DC. I hate the gaping hole that it makes, and you can never seem to tighten your stitch. If anyone has any tips on maybe a different stitch I can use to take its place, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Daisypath PicDaisypath Ticker

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2005 - 1:05pm

Hi and Welcome :)

In place of skipping two, you could try dc decrease (dc2tog)...Dc2tog: Yo and draw up a lp in next st, yo and draw through 2 lps, skip next 2 sts, yo and draw up a lp in next st, yo and draw through 2 lps, yo and draw through 3 lps remaining on hook

Thats what they do in this pattern instead of skipping stitches:

http://home.att.net/~susanBinKC/patterns.html?ripple.html

HTH!

Daisypath Ticker

Follow me to my signature exchange partner:
FlyBabies Board

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2005 - 2:38pm

Thanks for the pattern, Heather, I appreciate you.

I printed it up, and will try a couple of rows, after Noel goes to bed.

I'm not sure how it will look, in Amythyst, Delft Blue and Cherry Red, but that's the way she wants it.LOL

I will put up pics of my projects as I finish them.

P.S. I will try to be a regular poster, from now on. If that is O.K. with you. I will squeeze it in somewhere, during my busy day.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2005 - 3:03pm

I think those colors will look beautiful together :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2005 - 3:18pm

Allison,

I think the colors sound really pretty too. I think Heather's idea of doing the dctog instead of skipping too may work out just fine. The ripple won't be as prominent, but you will still get relatively the same affect. Sometimes when I first start a pattern the skipped chains look like awfully big gapping holes, but once you get into the project it evens itself out. You may want to try the pattern as is for a few rows just to see how you like it first. However, I am an engineer and a stickler for following pattern instructions to the letter, I'm not much of an improviser. Good luck and I can't wait to see some pictures. Remember, you don't have to wait until it's all done to start sending pics!

JJ

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2005 - 5:36pm

Thanks Heather.

I hope that those colors work out, because I already bought the yarn.LOL

I will be upset if I get it done, and she decides that she doesn't like the colors.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2005 - 5:42pm

Hey again JJ.

I did do about 5 rows of the pattern, but it just didn't look right. The holes were too prominent and threw off the whole "pleasing to the eye" look that

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2005 - 11:18pm

Hi Allison,

I'm glad you got some help because I was baffled by it all LOL. I'm a knitter and don't have enough crochet experience under my hat to have been any help at all! But welcome to the board and I also look forward to getting to know you too!

~Kat

http://www.baldsheep.blogspot.com/

http://www.picturetrail.com/kittyprints4

~Kat, kittyprints4

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2005 - 12:17am

Thanks Kat.

It's nice to meet you. I'm sure you will probably see a lot of me.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2005 - 8:20am

Hi!

I have a really great ripple afghan pattern without the holes. I'm pretty new to crocheting and I found the pattern very easy to read. I had never made an afghan before and this one went soooo quickly.

it's at: http://home.att.net/~susanBinKC/patterns/ripple.html

If that site doesn't pull it up, if you search on "SusanB's Easy Ripple Afghan" it should find it for you.

I used a size 6 hook and did not make it ribbed. I did 2 colors, one color 4 rows, and a varigated color for 2. I did the edging in the varigated color. I would send a picture of it, but i don't have that service. I could maybe email you a pic if you want.

Anyway, this is really nice, and I think it's what you are looking for. Happy crocheting!
Karen

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-02-2005 - 3:42pm

Hi Karen.

Thanks for your pattern. I think it's the same one that Heather gave me.

I have already done 8 rows of it, and it does work up easily.