Looking for expert advice here...

iVillage Member
Looking for expert advice here...
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 8:04pm

Ok, I hope I can word this so everyone will understand. If I have a scarf pattern that calls for 22 stitches on size 11 needles, but I want to make the scarf more narrow and a thicker material (the yarn is pretty thin) how should I change my needles to give me the effect I want? Should I use smaller or large needles? I also want to make the most of the yarn. The pattern says that it should make a 30 inch scarf (from one ball of yarn; the pattern calls for two). I want to make it longer than that. Should I consider using another ball or should I stick to the pattern, cutting the number stitches CO in half?

I hope everyone understands this. If not, I am going to be lost!

Colleen

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2005 - 8:16pm
Well, lets see. If you use a thicker yarn and smaller needles, you may get a VERY stiff scarf. It depends on how thick the yarn is. I would not use a bulky yarn on a needle smaller than an 11, but a worsted weight yarn should be ok with needles ranging from 8-11. What's the fiber content? The smaller the needle, the smaller the stitches are going to be, so you may want to use 2 balls of yarn, because 1 may not go as far as you want it to. If you cut your stitches in half, I think that the scarf would be very, very narrow on 11 stitches. Hope this helped! Pam
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2005 - 8:36pm

It's an eyelash type fiber and the scarf is really mainly for decoration. I am making them in the girls' school colors as stocking stuffers for Christmas. So this is what I am doing: one ball each of two school colors (one green and white, one green and black), 11 stictches on size 15 needles, knit every row. It's looking good so far. I could have finished it the same day I started, but had other more pressing issues!

Thanks for the information.

Colleen

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-11-2005 - 3:32pm

i'm just a beginning knitter so i don't know whether my way is a very good way to do things, but in your situation i would ignore the pattern and knit a swatch with the yarn and a guesstimate of what needle size would make a nice finished product. then, once i know how many stitches per inch i'm going to get with my needles and yarn, i'd use that to figure out how many st to CO to get the desired scarf size.

i cook the same way - i hate to follow recipes. i have yet to follow a knitting pattern for anything i've made. i know that someday i'll probably have to, like to knit a sweater, but for