switching colors of yarn and needle size

iVillage Member
switching colors of yarn and needle size
Wed, 07-13-2005 - 10:19pm

Hi Girls,

I just started knitting and I will soon be making a baby blanket, can I use just a straight needle? I'm not sure what those circular needles are really for. Also I want to swtich colors every so often, how do I do this?

THanks for any help!
Liz

Mommy to 3 beautiful girls Paige 8 and rylan 5 and our new addition Tegan. Living Barefoot www.thebarefootbookclub.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-14-2005 - 9:34am

IMO, you can do blankets and afghans on straight needles IF they are long enough to hold the number of stitches you need to cast on. However, the circular needles do hold more, make it easier to handle the weight of a "growing" blanket (think how much the end of that needle is going to weigh when you get a few inches of fabric knit on...), and really are treated just like a pair of needles that just HAPPEN to be conected when doing straight stitching like this.

I'm assuming you want to switch colors for rows, not for a pattern, right?

The pattern will usually tell you which row to switch on (right side or wrong side is usually the indication) but the best thing is to switch when you are starting a new row. Just use the new yarn to make your first stitch, leaving a few inches of "tail", and you are off. If you have tension problems, you can tighten by pulling on the "dead" end later --- and when you are finished with the blanket, you simply weave the loose end into the edge or along the new stripe with a yarn needle... IF you aren't comfortable with leaving teh yarn loose, you *can* knot it, but that knot probably should be removed when you finish the blanket becasue the knot can result in a hard lumpy bit where you changed yarns. (P.S. Do you know how to attach a new skein to yanr when you run out of the old one? saem way...).

Now, if your stripes aren't that far apart (two rows or so --- and this only works if you are changing colors every 2-4-6-etc. rows) you can "carry" the yarn to the next stripe but it does make a "loop" on the blanket edge which *can* be snagged, so it's best (IMO) to not carry the yarn unless you are later going to crochet a border on that blanket and therby enclose the loose strands...

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

WIP Rotation:

Mondays: "Snowman Alphabet", designed by Linda Gillum, chart in Cross Stitch Gold, issue 17

Tuesdays: "Shades of Aubergine", designed by Mary Hickmott, chart in New Stitches issue 131

Wednesdays: "Count the Stars", a Dimensions Gold Collection Petite, no designer named

Thursdays: "Blue Porcelain Collection", design by Di Noyce, chart in Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch and Beading, issue 57

Fridays: "Blue and White China", design by Leslie Teare, chart in Cross Stitch Gold issue 20

Saturdays: "Golden Gate Avenue", design by Nancy Rossi for Janlynn

Sundays: "Winter's Twilight" stocking, design by Dennis P.Lewan for Dimensions Gold

CL for "

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-14-2005 - 9:56am

Hi Liz!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-14-2005 - 5:34pm

THank you for all the help. I'm actually not following a pattern since I'm really new at this I figure I will just work with a purl and knit stich. So hopefully this blanket will come out OK.

THanks,
Liz

Mommy to 3 beautiful girls Paige 8 and rylan 5 and our new addition Tegan. Living Barefoot www.thebarefootbookclub.com