Carol, I didn't realize you quilt!

iVillage Member
Carol, I didn't realize you quilt!
Mon, 08-29-2005 - 10:07pm

I am looking to learn how to quilt, but here's a dumb question: how much knowledge of an actual sewing machine does a person need to have to quilt?

We have a sewing machine, but I am not sure how to use it. It's old and I don't have an instruction manual for it. My DD looked at it (she had sewing this year at school) and she doesn't have a clue how to work it.

How much of it can be done handstitched?

Thanks.

Colleen

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-31-2005 - 12:07am
The answer is simple - All of it.
I have been quilting for 10 years and I have never used a sewing machine for ANY part of the quilt process. I know quilters that swear by machine piecing or machine quilting. I also know quilters that wouldn't let a machine touch ANY part of their quilting. The reason I have never used a machine is that I like the portability of hand piecing and hand quilting. That and I am NOT very comfortable with a sewing machine. If it is mechanical and I can break it - I usually do.
That's the big reason I enjoy crocheting and knitting - I can't break the crochet or knitting needles. I don't have to take them into a shop to get them fixed and cleaned. AND... I don't have to stay in one place with them. so - GOOD LUCK and HAPPY PIECING. You can do it all by hand.
Winks & Smiles,
Lise
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-31-2005 - 4:38pm

Well, I took two years of classes when I lived in Saudi (Although I have done very little with it since and haven't really QUILTED anything, just pieced.

It can ALL be done by hand if you want...

The first of the classes I took was ONLY hand-piecing and quilting --- the teacher was adamamant that one needed to learn hand-piecing techniques FIRST in order to understand machine piecing...

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

WIP Rotation:

Mondays: "Snowman Alphabet", designed by Linda Gillum, chart in Cross Stitch Gold, issue 17

Tuesdays: to be announced

Wednesdays: to be announced

Thursdays: "Blue Porcelain Collection", design by Di Noyce, chart in Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch and Beading, issue 57

Fridays: "Blue and White China", design by Leslie Teare, chart in Cross Stitch Gold issue 20

Saturdays: "Golden Gate Avenue", design by Nancy Rossi for Janlynn

Sundays: to be announced

CL for "