Storage for Crochet/ Knitting Supplies

iVillage Member
Storage for Crochet/ Knitting Supplies
Wed, 09-07-2005 - 8:51am

Hello All:) I am getting ready to move into a new apartment and I'd really like to keep this one clutter-free. Right now, it looks like a yarn factory exploded in my living room since I'm working on crocheting a multi-colored afghan. How do you all keep your yarn, pattern books, needles and stuff organized and tidy? I have baskets and Rubbermaid totes and bags spread out all over the living room and in closets and I can never find what I want when I want it. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Samantha

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-07-2005 - 10:17am

Hi Samantha!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-07-2005 - 11:44am

Thanks for replying to my question:) I am a crocheter, but I have been attempting to teach myself to knit from books and haven't been catching on very well so far.

I have a binder I keep crochet patterns I get off the internet in, but I don't have all my other books and stuff together, so I definatly like your idea of putting all the books and yarn together on a bookshelf. When I move, I think I'll have an extra bookcase, so that will be perfect. I really liked those links you provided about making the yarn wall art. That was cool, but I'd have a wall full of crates or tubing! LOL Do you have any ideas for WIPs that you don't want to work on anymore, but you put so much work into them that you don't want to throw them away? I started a mile-a-minute afghan and got most of the panels crocheted, but decided I didn't like it and just quit. It is now in a big rubbermaid container taking up a whole closet shelf.

Thanks again!
Samantha

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-07-2005 - 2:26pm

I pretty much use the same system. BUT, when DH finishes off the basement, I am going to ask for a crafting nook. My plan is this.

We have loads of built in storage space in my basement (closets built right into the walls). I plan on getting some cedar veneers to line the shelves of one of the closets. Then I want to get a whole bunch of those plastic shoes box things with lids. Then I will drill a very smooth hole into the short side of each one and pull a strand of my yarn through. That way, I can see my yarn, access it easily, keep it clean while I am working on it and stack it neatly in the cedar closet when I am not using it.

As for apartment dwelling, I think the system you have right now is the best. Unfortunately, I find if I put it away, I stop working on it. I have a plastic gift wrap thing under my bed, full of yarn and patterns; I don't even know what's in there!

So I have my knitting bag, my large rubbermaid tote and the plastic bag I am currently working out of all over my living room. It's driving DH insane.

Colleen

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-08-2005 - 10:21am
I have a plastic thing on wheels with drawers (by rubbermaid I think).....I have a small one and a larger one and then another metal shelf thingie LOL....
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-08-2005 - 10:48am

For your afghan panels, how big are the panels?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-08-2005 - 11:28am

What GREAT ideas for storage. Another good way to keep your crochet books in order is to get some magazine holders. Since most of my crochet books are soft cover it's hard to keep them upright and neat on shelves, so I think I may store them this way instead. Here's a link to what I'm talking about http://www.containerstore.com/browse/index.jhtml?CATID=74548

JJ

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-10-2005 - 11:58am

Finished afghan squares can be donated to Warm Up America. I know that A.C. Moore has a box set up for squares for donation.

Colleen