Knew Knitter Kneeds Knowledge

iVillage Member
Knew Knitter Kneeds Knowledge
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 1:02pm

OK, so I'm not all that new to it. I've been making things using basic knit/purl patterns, but am bored with that and wanting to branch out into more types of procedures. I'm a huge fan, for example, of cable knits, and I thought that, maybe, if I "hung out" with women that seemed to have it on the ball, I'd learn something.

I immediately thought of iVillage and, just from glancing through a few posts, believe I've found those women with something on the ball. I literally taught myself to knit and purl using the free videos at http://www.knittinghelp.com -- the woman is good at keeping it simple and explaining as she goes.

So, I'm looking around the room and wondering if there might be an extra chair that I can pull up and join in?

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 1:16pm

There's lots of room!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 2:24pm

I've only been knitting since June, but have made a scarf, a "binkie" for our elderly cat, a matching afghan and rug for my daughter, and am about to start a blanket for my grandson. I've also got a blanket in the works for my spouse and I, for our bed, but have decided to put that aside to see if I can get the grandson's blanket rolled out by Christmas. If not, his birthday is in February so I'm sure I can hit that deadline.

I'm looking for a basic, no-sew pattern for a sweater or something other than a blanket, so I can get a feel for piecing work together like that.

BTW, you might want to exercise caution in asking me to "post a lot." Once you get me started, you can't shut me up.

Just feed me wine....

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 7:00pm
Yeah!! Somebody new!! I have been trying to branch out too! I just learned to make socks two weeks ago. I have already made some booties & a pair of slippers. Next I am going to make some regular socks. I have to finish an afghan for my daughter first though. I saw a pattern for a cable blanket that would use up extra yarn. It seemed like a good way to learn to cable.
Go to http://tiajudy.com/longblue.htm
it explains how to do it.
Lise
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 8:04pm

Self-taught knitter here. I learned from a book.

It's funny. I said years ago, I bet I could teach myself to knit and make my own Irish Cable Sweater instead of spending a small fortune on one. Well, I learned how to knit, learned how to cable (it's easier than you think) and I NEVER made a sweater! Not one. I ended up buying a really nice one in Ireland on my second trip over there!

Welcome.

Colleen

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 8:07pm

P.S. My first completed project is a prize-winning Aran Cable Afghan. I wish I still had the pattern. I'd make a dozen of them! It's so warm! But it was back in the day when I used cheapo yarn. I haven't touched acryllic yarn in years!

Colleen

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2005 - 1:23pm

Hmmm....

Travels to Ireland...

Name is Colleen...

I'll bet you're Italian!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2005 - 10:55pm

Mostly German with a couple drops of Irish blood. I married and Italian/Irish-50/50. People used to say, oh I bet you're Irish, I used to tell them no, I'm Polish!

Colleen