Traveling with knitting needles

iVillage Member
Traveling with knitting needles
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 7:12pm

Well for the first time in a long time, I was worried about travleing with knitting needles. I don't know why, I do it all the time. For some reason, I just knew this time that I would have them taken from me. You know it is at the discretion of the TSA agent. If they think they are a danger, they can take them away. I was going to buy some plastic or wooden circulars that wouldn't show up as well on the x-ray, but I put it off too late and had to brave it through. Luckily, I got on my flight with my knitting intact, but now I am FOR SURE going to buy some flexible or wooden circs. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a brand? I usually just go to the discount store and buy some, but I really want to get some softer plastic ones.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Lise

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 8:02pm

I believe they have relaxed the restriction on knitting needles.

http://www.airsafe.com/issues/security/tsalist.pdf

Colleen

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 8:53pm
I know they have relaxed the restrictions. I keep a printed copy of that list in my knitting bag. The problem is they have an out... see:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1252.xml
that way they can remove something that is on the list and not get in trouble. It really doesn't pay to argue with them. Like I say, I don't usually worry, I just did for some reason today. I worried so much that my DH called me and told me that he had a pair of bamboo circs waiting for me at home for my next trip. He even got the size correct.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2005 - 9:38pm

I don't have a suggestion for a particular brand (sorry)...but I just wanted to let you know that I flew in July to Mexico and back, and didn't have a single problems at all.

Oh wait, actually I just bought a circular set of needles (Denise Interchangable Knitting Needles www.knitdenise.com)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2005 - 1:29am

Thanks! I guess I just need to learn to chill. I know that I need to relax a little, it's just that when you put so much work into something - you don't want anything to happen to it AND you want to keep working on it.

Sigh
L

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2005 - 2:10pm

I bought an interchangeable set from joann.com, and used a 50% off coupon which put them at roughly $45. They're not plastic, but they're flexible, and a really good quality. And, every size from 2 right on up to 15. You get 3 or 4 cables of varying lengths, and "couplers" with which to extend cables or make them bigger. I love my set. If you use this code at checkout before the end of October, you can get 50% off the REGULAR price of any ONE item. Code is SEPA550

Hope this helps.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2005 - 11:50am

OOOOOOHhhhh
I have wanted one of those sets for the LONGEST TIME!! Now, if I can just get my hubby to spend some money on football tickets, then i can run to JoAnn's and get my knitting needles!
Thanks sooo much for the heads up.

Lise

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2005 - 1:06pm

Hey, we have to enable each other right?

I mean, stick together.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2005 - 12:49am
Hey, everyone is entitled to one dillusion. Some people abuse the priveledge and their ENTIRE life is one big dillusion, but the entitlement does not restrict the breadth of said dillusion.

~Trish
Got the "Not tonight, honey" blues?

Catch me hanging out in the

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2005 - 2:17pm
I highly recommend the Denise needles as well, but I don't know if you can find them at Joann. I got mine at one of the local needlework stores. Read some online reviews before you buy, because I have heard that some of the other interchangeable needle sets can come undone a little more easily than the Denise needles. That's definitely not something you want to deal with, I know. I've not had any trouble with my Denise set, and they are truly not that expensive, if you think about how much it would cost to purchase the same number of bamboo circulars in the various lengths that you might eventually need. In fact, you'd probably end up saving a lot of dough. I think my set cost about $50.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-13-2005 - 11:02pm

My LYS carries a Denise set - she won't carry any other brand.

Pages