Poncho yarn

iVillage Member
Poncho yarn
Wed, 10-05-2005 - 8:22am
Well, I was using Patons pure wool for my neice's poncho and I had to rip the whole thing out. I had about 10 inches done. I kept smelling something funny, and realized the other day that it was the wool yarn! It smelled just like sheep. Obviously, the company didn't clean it well enough at all. I was able to return both skeins (I bought them at AC Moore) and then went to my LYS to buy something else. I got this gorgeous yarn called Princess (made by Classic Elite),and it is heavenly to work with! It is merino wool, cashmere, and angora. It was a little expensive (10.00 per skein-I needed three) but I would have spent that on her anyway for a gift, so I figure this way, I get the benefit of working with such a wonderful yarn. I got a light grey because I figure she can wear it with a pair of black pants and maybe a black turtleneck underneath. I think she is really going to like this!
iVillage Member
In reply to: pmh67
Wed, 10-05-2005 - 9:29am

Knit or chrochet? What pattern are you using?

Colleen

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2005 - 11:40am
That sounds so nice!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2005 - 11:45am

Wow, I have never had yarn that smelled like sheep! I can't imagine what I would do. I am glad you were able to return it.
It's great that you are working with such a wonderful yarn now. The best yarns are sooo expensive. But sooo worth it. The only trouble I have is that I can't make things for myself with it. I just can't justify it. I found a pattern for a beautiful purse made with Berroco suede. But it takes 7 skeins! At almost 10$ a pop, I just can't do it.
I will have to make it for someone else (like my MIL) and be happy I get to work with the yarn.
heavy sigh

Lise

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2005 - 1:21pm

Pardon me for butting in here (and it's a big butt I'm putting in there, believe me).

WHY on earth would you need to "justify" doing something nice for yourself? Are you not worth a little indulgence here and there? EVERY woman needs to reward herself from time to time, and not feel one bit guilty about it.

I single parented three kids. There was a time that the only thing that held my underwear up was the jeans I had over them. In my mind, I couldn't justify spending money on myself when my kids needed so much, not even $5.99 for a 6-pack of Hanes Her Way white cotton undies. Then I found ways to take care of me, to make myself feel that I had value beyond being the paycheck that provided for everyone BUT me.

It started small -- any coupons I used at the grocery store, I counted out exactly their value in savings after my grocery trip, and put that money in a coffee can. When I took cans and bottles back, that money went into the can as well. My first foray into selfishness netted me not one but TWO 6-packs of Hanes Her Way white undies. I felt like I'd died and gone to undie heaven. It was that precise moment when I realized how ridiculous it was to deprive myself while I provided for everyone BUT me.

Do you cook, clean, do laundry, chauffer kids, care for aging parents, volunteer, mow the lawn, bring home a paycheck or anything like that for other people? If you do, then you DESERVE to indulge yourself a little bit.

Use the coupon plan, or the can return plan, sure, it might take you 6 months to "save up" for your indulgence, but believe me, you're worth it, and don't ever again tell yourself that you can't justify doing or having something nice for yourself.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2005 - 2:09pm

Wow! what a great way to think about it.

Don't get me wrong. I KNOW that in my mind, its just hard to get from there to my heart. The guilt, you know? But you are right. And that is a great way to look at it. I could do the coupon plan or the can plan.
But I think I will do the 'doing for others' plan. Whenever I am chauffering, caring for Grandma, cooking meals (that I won't even get to eat), or taking any time that is exclusively for others, I can calculate what that would be worth in terms of minimum wage and allow myself indulgences up to that amount.
For example: When I take Grandma to the store (because she enjoys going and needs to buy things) and it takes 20min to get her, 40minutes at the store (she loves to look around), 20min back home, and 10 minutes to put things away. Then I can have 1 1/2 hours worth of credit. With minimum wage at $5.15/hr, that would be $7.72 worth of credit!
thank you for making me think! Thank you for reminding me that I am WORTH something! I know it seems stupid, but I DO forget.
I knew there was a good reason for coming to this post.

Lise

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2005 - 6:25pm
The pattern is knit from March 2005 Creative Knitting magazine. The page number is 16. Super easy, but I am not putting the tassels on because I know my niece wouldn't like them. I am not a tassel person either, so I understand!