Question from a Complete Newbie

iVillage Member
Question from a Complete Newbie
Sun, 10-09-2005 - 2:33pm
Hello everyone! I have never knit in my life but have always wanted to learn. I'm in the process of checking out some classes where I live, but was wondering if anyone knew any books or internet sites or anything else that would be helpful to start. I don't know anything about knitting, and found out about this board from Heather so I thought I would check it out. And this is probably a dumb question, but I honestly don't know the difference between knitting and crocheting. What is the difference? Thank you!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2005 - 2:57pm

Welcome to the board!!! Here are a couple of sites that I know of that could be helpful.

www.lionbrand.com (they have a learn to knit section)

www.knittinghelp.com (one of hte best I think)

www.stitchguide.com (another really good one)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2005 - 3:09pm

Hey Lacy!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2005 - 4:34pm

Hi there,

There are some great books out there, but I reccommend you start with one of the best for kids. When people write for kids they are very clear and consise, including the illustrations. Try the book, "Kids Knitting" by Melanie Falick. It's available in paperback for $12.95 from Artisan Publishers out of NY. She has some basics projects that get you through the first stitches you will need to learn to knit and you end up with something that you can be proud of very quickly. (can you tell I'm a school librarian? Kids books are my passion and this one is a good one, I even bought my daughter a copy.)
I started knitting about 30 years ago when my grandmother taught me and then didn't pick up a needle again until about 3 years ago. I can make scarves and hats and I'm trying to teach myself to do mittens next. I think. You should also call you local yarn shop and see if they have classes. Beginners need to have someone to ask questions of as they go along. I have managed to teach my 13 year old daughter and I will be teaching my eight year old and her brownie troop this fall. It's a great, productive relaxing way to spend your time. And the difference between crocheting and knitting is the amount of needles. Knitting has two, crocheting needs one. Good luck and let us know how you are coming along.
mollyts

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2005 - 5:59pm

I learned from a book. It was by the american School of Needle work (craft, I can't remember). It was good and offered a variety of newbie patterns. It was easy to read, but I can't think what it was called. Something like, Learn to knit in a day, or something like that.

HTH
Colleen

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2005 - 8:21pm
Why not learn both? I tried knitting many years ago and then I tried crocheting, crocheting just "felt" right to me and knitting didn't, so I kept with crochet. But with knitting you can learn those gorgeous Fair Isle patterns and make delicate items like lacy shawls, the end result with the two crafts looks different, but both are lovely. I think you'd be happy if you learned to do both, with each of them there are things you simply cannot do with the other.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2005 - 8:39pm

you use hooks in crochet and needles in knitting....I found the "IODIOT'S GUIDE TO CROCHET/KNITTING" very helpful in learning to crochet.I have been doing crochet since the first of this year and absolutely love it.I bought the needles so I could try knitting but haven't done it yet....

http://www.geocities.com/sweetmrsmagnolia/crafts2.html
http://www.geocities.com/sweetmrsmagnolia/crafts4.html
http://www.geocities.com/sweetmrsmagnolia/newest_crafts.html

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-10-2005 - 12:47am

Knitting and crocheting are both wonderful.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-10-2005 - 9:37am

My dd13 and I took some knitting classes from Michael's, if you're familiar with that store. I bought a Knitting Made Easy cd-rom which has

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-10-2005 - 4:12pm
Wow thanks everybody! I think I now have a great idea on where to start. That simplyknitting website looks awesome, and I never even thought to check with Michaels! That store is pretty close to me. I have always wanted to knit a scarf, so maybe I'll start there. As soon as I get time I'll be going to a craft store to stock up and I'll probably be back with some questions. Thanks for your help!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-10-2005 - 9:56pm
Thanks for posting those links Heather. I want to learn to knit just so I can say that I can do it. I am very visually oriented and have to have someone sit with me to show me and work alongside me. The only friend I have that knits, just moved to the west coast and before she could teach me at that...argh. Then there's dh's aunt in SC. Well I dunno if we're travelling this holiday season since my mom just died, and we dont wanna leave daddy alone. So unless I can get a road trip to see Aunt M. or get a freebie lesson from someone...I am just going to have to keep crocheting for now. I got frustrated with the purse I was making and unravelled it. It made it easier to unravel since the intended recipient is a relative that I'm not to happy with right now. lol. Anyway, I think I'll make a cellphone case for her instead of a purse. She probably wouldn't appreciate the purse as much as my 3 yo dd appreciates hers. Oh yeah...and she got sick in the van today, and yes, it hit her purse. YECH! Gotta wash it now. Anyway, I'll have to check out those videos later this weekend when my brain is expected to be clearer and my monkey is hopefully going to be feeling well. I do better early in the day to learn stuff, but production is usually better in the evening.

~Trish
Got the "Not tonight, honey" blues?

Catch me hanging out in the