well i was flattened today.......

iVillage Member
well i was flattened today.......
Sun, 10-30-2005 - 7:40pm
I gave the babysitter the purse today after church. She thanked me and said it was nice but then said it was not big enough and the strap was too wide. And then she asked me to make it larger and make the strap skinnier. I was stunned. My 12 yo said "mom, wasn't that kind of rude?" when we got in the van. I couldn't even talk during the drive home, and for a few minutes after getting home. I told dh what happened and he got ticked off about it too. I don't think she truly appreciates the work involved and I have decided to simply not make her anything at all. I can't even describe how I felt about what she said. While I appreciate her honesty, at the same time she DID ask me to make a purse for her after she saw the one I made for my 3 yo dd. She didn't specify any dimensions or expectations or anything. I made this for her because she has kept my kids for me and not asked for much if anything from me because she knew I had limited resources. I feel smacked in the back of the head with a frying pan.

~Trish
Got the "Not tonight, honey" blues?

Catch me hanging out in the

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2005 - 6:33am
I've lurked here off and on, being new to knitting, but I just had to reply to you.

That was very rude of the girl!

Yes it is nice to hear honesty, but not like that..

If you are still irked about it, I would maybe go and tell her how you feel. I understand she is young, but she needs to learn at some point how to say things tactfully!

That was a very nice thing for you to do! I hope it doesn't stop you from making things for others in the future!

I'm thinking of giving a few of my newly made scarves away this Xmas.. I'm sort of nervous and wondering what people will say..

< =< -->

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2005 - 7:52am
That was rude! I wouldn't make anything for her in the future, that's for sure. Pam
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2005 - 8:54am
This lady is actually a few years older than I am. I would rather someone be honest about it and say directly that they don't fully appreciate the work put into a piece. But this instance was a bit unlike her, and I honestly think there's more to it than I know completely. But I am not going to bring it up to her, I just won't make anything else for her, and I will try to avoid conversation about crocheting in the future with her. And no, I won't stop making things for people in the future. I'll be sure that I make sure they appreciate the craft before I do anything for them though!

~Trish

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2005 - 8:56am
I won't be making anything for her again, but I will make things for other people. And when my rude child (the 12 yo ds) says "wasn't that kind of rude?" then you know something is up with it!

~Trish

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2005 - 10:15am

OMG!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2005 - 11:57am
Thanks Heather. I do not want to bring it up with her. I suspect she's miffed because I told her I'd come by to visit last week and was not able to stop by her house. She's the kind of friend that requires a lot of attention.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2005 - 11:59am

Hi!

I agree with what everyone has posted here.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2005 - 2:08pm

I agree that the whole thing was rather unsettling, but if this is out of character for her - give her the benefit of the doubt.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2005 - 7:05am
Oh..she's older?! Hmm..

That is even more unexcusable. Sorry to hear she sounds so manipulative.. It sounds best for you to stay away from her.

Happy Knitting!

< =< -->

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2005 - 9:42am

Hi Heather!!

Welcome to the board and thanks for delurking!

How long have you been knitting for?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pages