Got My Free Yarn, Oh and an Update!

iVillage Member
Got My Free Yarn, Oh and an Update!
Wed, 11-02-2005 - 7:35pm

Hello fellow yarn artists,

I apologize for my extended absence and lack of posts. I decided take the time to post my update and let you know all that's been happening with me.

Among one of my top reasons for my "social quarantine" was that I was studying for a certification for work that I was hard-pressed to obtain. I took a class for it over the summer and had been putting off taking the actual exam at $500. My coworker and I decided to bite the bullet and schedule ourselves to take it towards the end of last month. After a harrowing few weeks of studying for hours AFTER work and forsaking my attempts at eating healthy and exercising regularly and going out with friends AND yarn arts. I spent my Sunday, October 23rd, in the exam for 5 hours (I left an hour early). I waited over a week for the results and today found out that I PASSED!! (And can now get my company to reimburse me that $500!) So if anyone needs a Certified Information Security Systems Professional (CISSP) I'm the one to call!

Among other good news today was that I got my free Bernat yarn in the mail today! I know there was that post a little while ago asking if anyone had gotten theirs and I had said I didn't but I did finally get it today. They also send a few patterns to go with it.

I had a pretty harrowing day today first getting lost in downtown DC and ending up late to a demonstration that I was suppose to watch. I had dropped my car off this morning before my trek downtown at the repair shop since the other day I blew a tire on the road only to come back two hours later blister-footed and having to pay for ANOTHER tire that I did not anticipate. I had to get an alignment too since that was what ate up my two tires in the first place. I got my car back early in the afternoon only to find that it was still pulling to the left. I thought I would only miss an hour of work today and ended up not being able to go in at all. I brought it back and finally got it back sometime after 5 PM and less $300. :(

At least I passed my exam and got free yarn when I got back to my apartment! :)

On the knitting front, I finally finished Ryan's scarf that I've restarted a few times with different yarn. I am also starting my third skein of yarn for my Ripple Shawl wrap that I've been working on what feels like forever. I will try to get pictures up soon!

Now to catch up at work! It's always something, isn't it?!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com -->
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2005 - 7:59pm

Congrats on passing your exam- that's great!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2005 - 9:16pm

It's good to BE back! Admittedly, the wedding planning has been slow but progressing. I'm not sure if I posted about my photographer but I booked him a couple months ago. That's the last OFFICIAL thing I've done wedding planning-wise. I haven't set foot in a dress shop since the summer and know that I seriously need to get on that. We're trying to find more lanterns for our centerpieces but they seem to be on back-order everywhere so I am a teensy bit nervous about that. We are currently working on a menu between two caterers but we have let them know that we are in no real rush at the moment to make anything official. I suspect that after the holidays things will start up again in full force. And then we get to start registry shopping, YEAY! =)

Lately, there have been discussions amongst both mothers about a wedding cake. Ryan and I weren't realy keen on going all out with a cake but the mothers have interjected and it's looking more and more like we'll have at least a decent-sized cake. More to follow, I'm sure. ;)

Also, our last trip to visit Ryan's hometown his parents were talking to us about the wedding planning and I was really irked by how his mom and Ryan kept turning to me for answers to questions when I FEEL that they are not really MY issues anyways but HIS and maybe someone else's. And since we got engaged (and maybe even a little before - wink, wink) I knew that I wanted his two nieces who are both now almost 2 and almost 3 to be my little flower girls. I don't care if they even make it down the aisle, I just thought they'd be cute all dressed up! Shortly, after we got engaged both he and his mom voiced their concerns that they thought they both might be too young to handle such a task. So I let the matter drop. I knew that they would both be almost 3 and almost 4 at the time of the wedding. During this visit, Ryan's mom asks me again about it. And they turn to me waiting for an answer. In my head I'm like, "Are you serious?!" Out loud I say, "Well, when I brought the matter up originally you BOTH had said that you thought they would be too young." Ryan, of course, denied it and his mother said that now that she sees the eldest at almost 3 she thinks the two of them will be in good shape next year. Hello! I dunno, maybe it's just me but I can seriously see why some brides go crazy. They must have a groom like mine! =P But really, if that's all I have to complain about I most assuredly must be blessed, right?! Sorry for the vent, it's not exactly something I can post about in my wedding blog. Maybe I'll start needing an anonymous Bride blog soon. ;)

And how about you, Mrs. Soon-To-Be-Mama?! Are you and Mykel going to find out the sex of the baby? Have you decided on a nursery theme? My sister is due in a few weeks and she's having THREE baby showers in the next three weeks, can you believe that? They are having a little girl and they have chosen ducks as the theme as well as pink and green, though the duck stuff usually comes in yellow. So I guess you really can't go wrong with their color scheme as long as it's girly. ;) The next 9 months will definitely be a journey, I'm sure!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com -->
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2005 - 8:54am

Ah, the wonders of wedding planning!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting