Trying to teach myself how to crochet

iVillage Member
Trying to teach myself how to crochet
Fri, 11-11-2005 - 5:12pm
Hi, I've lurked a little bit and after reading a GREAT book, The store on Blossom and A good yarn I've become interested in knitting and crocheting. If you like to read check them out they are by Debbie Macombie. My aunt showed me how to make granny squares but that has been 13 yrs ago. Dh bought me a needle and yarn yesterday. I tried today and it seems all I can do is chains...lol I completely forgot how to start the new row and keep it square. I thought that I would just do some really simple squares nothing fancy, just your standard one or maybe a double but I can't even keep it looking straight like a square should be. Im to chicken to even try the knitting yet but I did put some books on hold at the library on both. I'd like to come here and chat with you Ladies and hopefully learn something from each of you. Has anyone here taught themselves, how did you learn to knit and or crochet??
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosting by Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2005 - 12:46am

Hi Rain! Welcome to the board. I had a mix of several attempts to learn. I don't really know how I managed to learn it, but I suprised myself when I did. To turn the chain and start a new row, you have to go back to the second chain from the hook. So... looking at your chain, theres a loop on the hook (skip that one), then there's the one you just completed (first chain from the hook, skip that one too) then go back one more chain. That is where you start the new row. I couldnt figure out why my tension was goofed up all the time. Then I finally figured out that I needed

Catch me hanging out in the

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2005 - 7:34am

Here are a couple of websites to help you get started.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2005 - 10:28am

Hello :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-12-2005 - 11:12am

yep....I started right after the holidays last year so I've almost been doing it a year....I got the book crochet/knitting for dummies and it was great!!!! good luck and welcome aboard!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/sweetmrsmagnolia/Cheap_Gifts_to_make.html

Photobucket