Gauge?

iVillage Member
Gauge?
Tue, 12-06-2005 - 11:05pm

Hi all,

New to this board and new to knitting! Was wondering if someone could help me out... I've read that in order to properly check if you have the correct gauge (as called for by a pattern) you have to knit a 3inch square swatch and then measure it... is this true?

If my gauge is too big, should I be using smaller needles to knit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kerry

iVillage Member
In reply to: bklynchik
Wed, 12-07-2005 - 9:07am

Hi Kerry!

It's better to do a 4 inch swatch and what you measure is how many stitches per inch you get (horizontally) and how many rows per inch (vertically). If your inches per inch are too big for what the pattern calls for go with a smaller needle. If you have too few stitches per inch go with a bigger needle.

I find that when I'm doing a blanket or scarf it's not really as important to do gauge but if you are doing a item that will be worn it's well worth the time to do the gauge swatch. I'm not sure why a bigger swatch is better other than there's less chance of the edges warping it so you can get a correct count. With the time it takes to do a sweater for an adult it's worth the time it takes to make sure it will turn out the correct size! LOL

Hope I've helped some! ~Kat

~Kat, kittyprints4

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-07-2005 - 9:12am
I've not done many swatches yet, since most of my projects have been where gauge isn't so important.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-09-2005 - 10:14am

Hi Kerry!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-11-2005 - 5:01pm
Thanks to everyone for your help... I was able to figure it out with your guidance. What fun! And now I have a hat (which I now need to figure out how to sew together! LOL) But it's all good. Thanks again!