Holiday Traditions

iVillage Member
Holiday Traditions
Tue, 12-13-2005 - 12:06pm
What are your favorite holiday traditions for the Christmas season?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-13-2005 - 4:02pm

Hi Ladies,

Our favorite is on Christmas Eve. We do what we call a "Chinese Auction". Not sure why it's called that....
Anyway, I buy and wrap a present for everyone who is going to be over. I then draw a name and they can choose a present and open it. When the next person's name is drawn, they can either select and open a wrapped present or 'steal' an already opened present and replace it with a wrapped present. It is sooo much fun. There's always alot of laughing and screeching go on. We'll do a round of 'stealing' presents after. (I hope I explained this properly!)

We started this a few years ago, and it has now become our family's very own tradition. We also always order Chinese food on Christmas Eve. It's such a wonderful evening and not having to prepare supper is so nice.
(We are not Chinese, LOL.)

Karen :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-13-2005 - 4:49pm

I've done that before, too. It's fun! Well, it's more fun with fun people. Some people call it "The White Elephant" exchange too. I have no idea where this names come from!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com -->
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-13-2005 - 6:32pm
Baking cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-13-2005 - 6:36pm
I've done that for office parties, only we call it a "Thieves' Christmas"!

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-14-2005 - 12:00am
We do something different each year. Some years we travel, others we don't. However the only thing that stays the same is that the kids decorate the tree after I put the lights and garland on it. And I don't boss them about where the ornaments should go. They put them wherever they want, with exception to a few of my special ones that I put at the top out of reach of lil fingers.

Catch me

Catch me hanging out in the