Since this board also deals with weaving

iVillage Member
Since this board also deals with weaving
Fri, 12-23-2005 - 10:24am

I thought you might get a kick out of this newspaper article:

~~~~~
Weaving as art -- and stress relief -- at CityArts

Anne Marie Brown came to fiber arts as a youngster, the way many folks do -- her mom taught her needlepoint and stitchery and made sure she signed up for sewing classes.

But when Brown moved to Wichita from Iowa in 1995 to become operations manager for the Wichita Symphony, she discovered CityArts -- and a more adventurous take on traditional weaving and sewing.

Two wool tapestries and a wool "fan" sculpture by Brown are included in "Fiber, Paper, Glass: Hand & Breath," an exhibit on view through Wednesday at CityArts, 334 N. Mead, in Old Town.

The exhibit also features art quilts, aprons made from paper and dryer sheets (by Brenda Jones), fiber paintings and sculpture made of glass, wire, fiber and sticks.

Brown takes weaving classes at CityArts one night a week. It took her about four months to complete her tapestries -- each about the size of a bath mat, each featuring abstract shapes against a background of brown or black. The designs are simple, uncluttered -- with warm, contrasting colors.

Brown also took pottery classes at CityArts, but switched to fiber because of an injury.

"I've discovered I'd rather work totally in wool," Brown said. "Weaving is old-fashioned. You can control what it is going to look like. Also, when you beat on it to get the fiber in tight, it is a stress-reliever. You pretend you are beating somebody up."

http://www.kansas.com/mld/eagle/entertainment/visual_arts/13468625.htm

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs:

"Lady Liberty:, designed by Donna Vermillion Giampa, published in Just Cross Stitch, August, 2002

"The Magic of Summer", designed by Charles Wysocki, a Dimensions kit

"Blue Porcelain Collection", design by Di Noyce, chart in Jill Oxton's Cross Stitch and Beading, issue 57

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-28-2005 - 10:47am
Interesting article!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting