DPN in place of circular needles?

iVillage Member
DPN in place of circular needles?
Sun, 01-22-2006 - 2:59pm

Hi, I'm new to this board. I've been knitting for just over a year now and have done a handful of simpler projects (scarves, hats, a sweater). I'm still learning about knitting, beyond the basics.

I've knitted three hats in the round and I've used DPNs for each. I've never used circular needles, but I feel I love the DPNs a lot more. Maybe it's the synthetic plastic that is involved with circular needles...I like a more period feel and stick with bamboo needles completely. Therefore, I would like to avoid circular needles whenever possible. Is it safe to assume that any pattern that uses circular needles can be achieved with DPNs? Is it pretty much a direct cross-over, or are there some things to be noted or kept in mind? I know with DPNs I have never had to use markers because I can always tell which needle I started on (via the loose tail from the cast-on, which I weave in at the very end), so that is something simpler. But I don't know if there is something harder about DPNs that I would need to know.
Also, I am assuming that if a piece is large enough, the DPNs might not be able to hold all of the stitches (I haven't seen DPNs longer than 8", but I haven't really looked).

Just curious. There is a cute bunny (from "Last Minute Knitted Gifts") that I want to try, and it mentions using two circular needles. I want to do this with DPNs.

Thanks!

~Seagoat

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2006 - 9:15am

You can do anything with double points that you can do with circs.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2006 - 12:21pm

Hi Seagoat!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2006 - 9:01pm

Thanks for the replies. And I have actually seen them in bamboo. It's partly the fact that there is a syntethic string connecting them. Something just seem so unnatural about it. My first pair of needles were bamboo, and I learned on those, and loved it so much that I have only bought the bamboo. I came into possession of metal needles, tried them, and can't stand them. I think I like the look and feel of the natural materials. Hence, the DPNs. Plus, I am into period recreation and DPNs were around centuries ago. So...maybe someday I will try the circular needles, if I need to make something big, but if it can be managed with DPNs, I would much rather do that. Call me weird.

*smile*

~Seagoat