Need Help

iVillage Member
Need Help
Sun, 01-29-2006 - 2:49pm

I have an afghan I crocheted years ago that now has some damage to part of it. Ok I will admit it, I feel asleep with a cigarette in my hand and it burned part of it. The whole thing is granny squares and only one of the squares was damaged. I am not sure if I can fix this or not without damaging the remainder of the blanket. Would anyone have any ideas on how to replace that square without loosing the whole thing. It was my very first project and I made it for my mom who is no longer with us. So you can see it does mean a lot to me to be able to keep it. I sure would appreciate any ideas you may have.

Thanks

Pearl

iVillage Member
In reply to: relaxingpearl
Sun, 01-29-2006 - 4:01pm
I've never done a repair like that, but it would stand to reason you can salvage it if you're willing to partially take it apart and put the squares back together after making the one new square to replace the burned one. Sentimental items are worth the trouble. I'm sure somebody here has done it, so just keep coming back.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2006 - 10:48am

How did you put together the afghan? Crochet or sewn? What I would do is create another square and carefully remove the other one. If you sewed it in you can try to find your old stitches and snip those out. If you crochet it in, I'm not quite sure how you'd get it undone. I have repaired a piece and what I did was pull out the bad section and then crochet in a new part. The granny square shouldn't be too difficult since you can just take out the one.

I did find a web site that does explain some repair on double crochet http://www.geocities.com/riverglorious/Patterns/repair/repairdc.html

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2006 - 11:18am

The other posters did a great job of answering your question!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-30-2006 - 5:31pm

I wanted to say thanks for your replies. I'm going to try to repair the afghan because it does mean a lot to me. As I said in my other post, it was burnt so I'm not really sure how much of that square I will need to cut out. I'm not even sure if I can without starting the rest unravaling. I crocheted it together and with as old as it is I really doubt I will be able to match the colors exactly. It will just have to look a little different. I guess my biggest concern about it at this time is that the squares were crocheted together with a different color and in lines so I may wind up with a huge mess if I'm not doing this right. I did look at the link that one of you gave me, sorry I don't remember your name but you know who you are, thanks. From what that tells me I will need to cut around the damaged area. Would any of you have an idea on how to do that without taking out the entire square? I'm not sure but I think if I try to completely remove that square it is going to unravel and take out the color I used to conect them with. I don't even know how to make a granny square from the outside in instead of from the inside outward. Is that even possible? I don't guess that would work would it. I don't know, I guess I will just try and see what I can do with it. The idea of taking it to a craft store didn't even occur to me, duh...lol. (I usually buy my yarn at walmart because it's cheaper then the local craft store and my budget doesn't allow for too much of an extravagance) I may just do that though before I try anything else, maybe they can tell what I will need to do. Actually the more I think about taking it to the craft store, the more I like that idea! I not only crocheted the squares together but before putting them together I crocheted a line around each square to make it blend better when put together. That is the part that I'm the most concerned with there being a problem of unravaling.

Thanks again for your help ladies!

Pearl