What should I try first?

iVillage Member
What should I try first?
Mon, 02-20-2006 - 4:14pm

Just to give you a little history: I started knitting about a year ago, then my son was born, so I stopped. I only really got past the stage of practicing making squares. When I was little, I crocheted (my mom taught me) but have not since then. So, I figure that I would continue my knitting and start up crocheting later. But I have to practive again since I forgot everything :blush:

It seems that practicing just making squares bores me and I give up. So, my question is, what could I make (besides squares) to practice with that will be easy enough for a beginner? I have a one year old little boy and another one on the way that is due in August. I am a purse freak, but they are probably a little more advanced for me still. Any ideas?

Jennifer

My mood is: The current mood of WildAboutAnimals at www.imood.com

baby

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosting by Photobucket My mood is:
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2006 - 10:57am

Hi and Welcome to the board!

There are lots of things you could try...how about some dishclothes?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2006 - 11:11am
Welcome to the board.

Image hosting by Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2006 - 2:06pm

One of my only friends who knit I met in my norwegian sweater knitting class (1992?). She was 17, had never knit before and made the most beautiful norwegian sweater! Her only 'practice piece' was the hat we all made to determine gauge on circulars. So, don't make the object of your desire more difficult than it is. I'm sure there are plenty of purse patterns intended for beginners out there! Perhaps you would feel better doing a felted one--any uneven stitches disappear in the felting process.

BTW, norwegians sweaters are all I made (5 or 6) until a couple of years ago. No pattern was necessary-just understanding of how to convert measurements to knitting gauge. I took a class to learn how to read the darn patterns so that I could expand.

Image hosting by Photobucket