Intro with crochet ?'s

iVillage Member
Intro with crochet ?'s
Thu, 02-23-2006 - 1:53pm

Hi everyone,

Just a quick intro. I taught myself to crochet a couple of weeks ago. I live in the burbs of New Orleans, so this has been an amazing stress reliever. SO far, I have taught myself the slip stitch, single crochet, half double crochet, and double crochets. I even figured out how to make the x's with the double crochet. Even though I only started a couple of weeks ago, I have made 4 scarves, a hand towel, an afghan, a hat, and a baby blanket. What can I say, I have a lot of stress. LOL. I am currently working on a loopy bath rug and a plastic bag rug.

I am thinking about making myself a shirt, but I can't find a pattern that I like, so my big ? is....can I use a regular shirt as a pattern? I thought I would make it in worsted weight with single and double crochets worked in a h hook. and just go the sleeves built in really simple and squared off. So the whole design would be 2 pieces. The back would be very square and simple. The front I would make a v neck line by just decreasing 2 stitches on each side once I got to the correct area. Do you think this will work out nice? Any better ideas? The only patterns I could find in a style I liked had a pattern that was skip 2 loops, in next look stitch sc1, ch 1,dc repeat. The stitch looked nice, but I was definitely screwing it up. The piece looked awful.

TIA,

Suzie

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-23-2006 - 5:51pm

Hi Suzie!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2006 - 11:20am

Hi Suzie. Welcome to the board.

I'm Allison in Northern Michigan. I am a SAHM to my DD Noel, which leaves me plenty of time to crochet. I taught myself also, using a CD-ROM that I purchased from Joann.com.

I agree with Heather. If you go on making your sweater in that format, it's going to be awfully boxy looking. Crochet Pattern Central has a lot of very nice patterns to choose from, that will help you make a beautiful sweater that you can be proud to show off.

Good luck!!

I hope to hear more about your projects soon. Pictures would be nice also.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The WeatherPixie