Continental style vs. English Style?

iVillage Member
Continental style vs. English Style?
Sun, 02-26-2006 - 10:21am

What is your preferred method to knitting. I use the English style and have heard that the Continental is more efficient. Shall look into the video for knittinghelp.com .. looks like a great site! ~thanks for sharing.

I guess I'm rather old-fashioned when it comes to knitting .. but, I love learning new technics. I've tried the continental stitching .. it works fine for knit .. but, the purl stitch always gives me trouble;)

Any thoughts?.......

Karen

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2006 - 10:31am

Hi There :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2006 - 12:04pm

Thanks, Heather .. guess I'm a "thrower" at heart, too;)I can regulate my tension much easier this way.

It does all come down to what you're most comfortable with in knitting. And, I can knit quite fast with the English style of knitting!

Hope you're feeling fit .. mom to be! .. an exciting time for your family. I remember those days quite well .. all of ours are boys - 12, 10 and 7. Time fly's quickly .. enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts.

Peace,
Karen

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2006 - 12:26pm

I didn't know there were two styles until I tried to reteach myself two years ago!

I found English MUCH easier to do and I suspect that is how I learend in the first place.

I too have heard that continental is faster but if it feels awkward to me, it just slows me down so I don't see any advantage in learning a new method...

Visit me at That Yank In... and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs:"Neighborhood" RR, "Lady Liberty", "The Magic of Summer","Blue Porcelain Collection", "Walking to Town", and 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the new DMC linen threads

CL for "

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-26-2006 - 1:46pm

Carol .. I agree with you. I too, didn't know about that stitch until a couple of years ago. We're creatures of habit with knitting .. subconsciously, I'll always be a english style knitter. It's the musician in me who always wants to achieve that next level of expertise (even if it's not in music;)

Happy Knitting...
Karen

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-05-2006 - 12:26am

I'm not sure which is most efficient. However, if you suffer from pain in your wrist from computer use, switching to Continental will keep you knitting! It was clear that I was going to have to give up knitting until I taught myself how to knit Continental. It takes most of the work from your right hand and puts it into your left.

Even though I mostly knit Continental, there are occasions when I do use English style. Certain stitches or techniques (reverse knitting for instance) are harder to do Continental).

Now, I don't know whether it helps the wrist of a lefthander. I don't personally know any left handed knitters.

Image hosting by Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-16-2006 - 5:46pm

well .. I went to a local knit shop and asked the owner which method she preferred and why! .. What she told me was that if you were English, you knit the English way and if you were German you knit the Continental way;)

That being said (and yes, I am half English/American!) I decided to try again the Continental stitch. I went to that site mentioned here .. www.knittinghelp.com .. what a wonderful site!

It took me a while but I finally mastered both knit and purl stitch doing it the Continental way:) The knit stitch is definitely much easier than the purl and it took many tries of experimenting with how I was comfortable with holding my needles.

You're right that it is less painful to hold the needles freely than with one tucked under an arm. I've had a painful bout with my shoulder from a fall .. learning this new stitch has made my knitting much less painful.

I'm working on a knit only pattern for a jacket .. one that is worked from the side. And, it is working quite well. That's how I practised the stitch. And, at the same time finished a shawl using both knit/purl for my son;)

there's hope for me yet!
happy knitting:)
Karen