Easy/cozy/cheap afghan idea

iVillage Member
Easy/cozy/cheap afghan idea
Wed, 08-13-2008 - 12:43am

I am working on an afghan for my daughter, Joanna, for Christmas. I am using Red Heart Bright and Lofty, which is very soft and billowy. I got the yarn for a dollar a ball from Smiley's. I have used that kind of yarn for several other things, but had trouble getting the needles through. I started with a metal, size K hook, and got it stuck about every other stitch, just with single crochet. Then, I went to a gray, plastic size N hook, which was better, but still took quite a bit of effort. Then, I got a Susan Bates white plastic hook, size N, and it just glides right through! I have to work around the times that Joanna is with her dad, and also keep shooing my cats off of it (they think it is incredibly cuddly, too), but I am having a great time with it! I am using the grape color, with just one row of the bubble gum every four inches, all in just plain sc. I haven't decided how to finish the ends, yet. When I get done with hers, I will start one in Licorice for my second son, who has been dropping broad hints that he wants one!

One warning, though, the bubble gum is extremely bright. I was intending to make an afghan of it for my sister, but it is brighter than I thought it would be. However, it is great for slippers and other things.

Anyway, I thought someone might be interested, especially someone who is a beginner. The crochet hook is real important, though, in my opinion. I will be eternally grateful to whoever first gave me the link to Smiley's internet yarn sale. You do have to buy a minimum of $40, but the prices are much better than anywhere else. With Christmas coming up, it isn't hard to come up with a $40 order, and you get several times as much yarn as you would shopping somewhere else.

Happy Crocheting!

Noelani

http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=id&file=iriot.htm http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2873&PRODID=prd12580

Edited 8/13/2008 1:03 am ET by noelani2

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2008 - 11:16am

Thanks for the tip on the crochet hook to use with this yarn, I have not tried the plastic one with it yet, the aluminum seem to stick a lot!

Can't wait to see pictures. :)

Jodi

Photobucket

Thank you ecullworm for the awesome siggie!

Photobucket

Community Leader
Sat, 08-16-2008 - 8:54pm

I think I have some of that yarn stored away because I couldn't get a hook through it, thanks for posting the

Photobucket