is this baby blanket going to be too big

iVillage Member
is this baby blanket going to be too big
Sat, 10-04-2008 - 11:31pm
I have been working on a baby blanket for about 3 weeks now. It basically alternates a shell stich and double crochet. Its not complicated, but it has been time consuming. I am using sport weight yarn *Bernat Softee Baby", with a D hook and still the width came to 50 inches. Now I am about 20 rows in and thinking this blanket is going to look huge when done. At this point, I will definately make it a square, rather than rectangle. I have to make the length at least 50 inches for this thing to look normal right? The pattern runs from left to right, so it seems the length needs to be at least what the width is or its going
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-05-2008 - 11:18am

that does sound a bit big to me. I'm finishing up a baby blanket that is 42 in square without the border (which I need to come up with!) and I know it is too big but I was way too far into it to start over.

If you feel up to it, I say start over and try to go around 36 in max for a baby blanket. I was aiming for that but got too big! lol I have a million ends to weave in because I changed colors every row. That's my goal for today along with finding a border that will work with what I did, a shell pattern that almost looks like leaves. :) The baby's room is Rain Forest themed so I went with Kelly Green and a green called Fern.

((HUGS)) you can always tell them it is a toddler blanket! Would the pattern look ok if you only went 36 inches wide.? Any chance you can post pictures, it may be workable. :)

JOdi

Photobucket

Thank you ecullworm for the awesome siggie!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-05-2008 - 11:23am

A D hook?

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-07-2008 - 12:13pm

Are you giving this as a gift.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-08-2008 - 1:22pm

I'd start over! With a bigger hook! That's really wide for a baby blanket, and with it being that tiny, it'd probably take you forever to finish.

I know your pain. I started a baby blanket for my dearest friend using worsted weight yarn, got about 8" done, using an F hook, and frogged the whole thing because it wasn't soft enough. And even when I did get it going with good soft baby yarn, it just took forever because the hook was so small. I didn't have it done in time for her shower, and had to present her an unfinished gift, LOL. After that, I vowed never to make a blanket with such a small hook again!

Photobucket

Photobucket