college colors afghan?

iVillage Member
college colors afghan?
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 9:56pm
I know I have seen afghans that make good use of bold college colors, but of course I cannot find them at the moment. The colors I am looking to use are navy and orange (Hope College). These are such bold colors that picking any 'ol pattern and using these colors could turn out to be a disaster in my opinion. A ripple stich seems a little old fashioned, although it could be done. Does anyone have a simple pattern that makes uses of college colors?
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 7:37am
I don't have a specific pattern in mind right now but

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 9:03am

Blocks are a good idea, but then you always end up putting them together at the end. :)

I think I'll just do either wide stripes or a wide ripple. Not very exciting, but I'm sure she'll (my 19 year old sister in law), will be thrilled.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 5:33pm

That's what

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 11:36pm

Unless you want to try instartia.

Added: ok, it's late. You're talking crochet, not knit. There must be a way to do something like join colors as you go. I saw someone's wonderful plaid afghan on Ravelry once. I think she said she left spaces for color two, and worked them later.

Edited 9/7/2010 11:48 pm ET by ca_dreamer
Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 11:44pm

You might like this one. I've done it before, it's simple but not too boring.

http://wolfcrochet.wordpress.com/?s=Aunt+Dot%27s

Photobucket

July 15, 2008 - Decided on Social Service Adoption then spent 3 months paying off all my bills
October 14, 2008 - Submitted agency application
January 20, 2009 - Homestudy home visit
March 5, 2009

Photobucket

July 15, 2008 - Decided on Social Servi

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 7:17am
Tracy, I think I DO like that one. I can't find a picture of the other one I was looking at, but the stripes were probably more like 5-6 inches wide. Well, I have a couple choices now, I just need to find something to match the colors with. I hope they aren't difficult colors to find in yarn. I am fairly certain my yarn shop will have, although I wasn't planning on spending that much. (Encore Worsted Weight).
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 8:57pm
What about the stadium blanket found here? http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Free%20Afghans/Stadium%20Blanket.pdf It folds into a bag.

Barbara - Mom to Veronica aka Roni- Large facial Hemangioma and PHACE

Just Remember that God does not give us more than we can handle, but why does he think I am so strong?

Just Remember that God does not give us more than we can handle,

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2010 - 6:27pm

Barbara-That is really neat! It looks like a lot of instructions though. I think I finally settled on the "School Spirit Throw" from Leisure Arts. Not too exciting looking, but hey, its school colors, so it'll be bold. I don't really want to add any other colors into it, unless there was a navy and blue variegated, which I doubt. So far the only true orange I have found is Red Heart, but it seems like it has sandpaper mixed in the yarn. I am going to try the Hobby Lobby brand tomorrow. If that isn't soft, I'll end up with Plymouth Encore (at about twice the price or so).

http://www.crochettoday.com/crochet-patterns/school-spirit-afghan

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 5:35pm
I have a book that is put out by Redheart called Team Spirit that looks kind of neat. http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Publications/Accessories/J270016+Team+Spirit.htm I bought the book at Pamida. Do you live in Holland? Or in Michigan somewhere? I live in West Michigan.

Just Remember that God does not give us more than we can handle, but why does he think I am so strong?

Just Remember that God does not give us more than we can handle,

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 7:06pm

Hi Barbara,

I live in Westland, MI (metro-Detroit area). My sister-in-law is attending college at Hope in Holland, MI and my husband's aunt and her family live in Holland. We visited for a couple of weekends last year and it is a wonderful little town.