Let's call the whole thing off

iVillage Member
Let's call the whole thing off
Sat, 02-23-2008 - 10:14pm

So I taught myself to knit. I made a big sweater, and not one but two Dr. Who scarves. It was all mostly garter stitch, anyway. Then I read the materials again, and noticed that I was knitting through the back of the loop. So I fixed that, except that it was real difficult to do a knit stitch the next row up from a purl stitch, so sometimes I would still knit through the back of the loop. Then I started questioning how to do purl, though it looked mostly ok. People kept saying "My purls used to be twisted" and I meant to look back at some reference material again. But I'm in the middle of a pair of socks, and consistency is important, too. But for curiosity, I saw some stuff about "combination knitting" and it seems to be what I was originally doing.

Now, of course, I'm doing half & half, knitting straight, and purling as though combo. And holding it English style. Well, the socks still work, anyway. Didn't notice any trouble with decreasing on the sweater, but then again, I think I only did one kind of decrease on either side (forget that left-leaning, right-leaning business.)

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-23-2008 - 10:19pm
I was watching Knitty Gritty the other day with a guest who knit in the combination method, they both agreed whatever method works for you is right.
Photobucket

July 15, 2008 - Decided on Social Servi

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-24-2008 - 7:39pm

I'm not sure about my k or p at this point! When I was trying to do my small test swatch it was really hard to do that purl row after I knit. I need some lessons I guess!

Good luck, just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

Jodi

Photobucket

Thank you ecullworm for the awesome siggie!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-25-2008 - 7:25pm
I had a heck of