Magic loop ankle socks - newbie question

iVillage Member
Magic loop ankle socks - newbie question
Tue, 12-23-2008 - 10:06pm

Hi ladies!

I haven't really posted on this board, but I hang around on my daughter's play group board and the photography board. Recently I have become OBSESSED with knitting these newborn wraps....

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5804438

I do a lot of photography and really want to use these as props, but can't see spending $75 each!! So last week I picked up the needles and taught myself the basics of knitting. I'm trying to figure out how to knit these wraps and thought that following a design for ankle socks might be a good starting point. Right now I'm trying to figure it out using the "magic loop" method and really don't know where to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Stacy

Beautiful Baby Girl

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-25-2008 - 9:53pm

Well, having blown away one message.

There's lots of tutorials with pictures and or video available.
You want to google "Magic Loop" and ("Turkish cast-on", "Judy's Magic Cast On", or "Figure 8 Cast On") one of the 3 in parentheses, if you want a closed end. Depending on how rounded you want the end, you'll cast on more or fewer stitches and then increase more or less per row. Alternatively, you can use any cast on, and sew the end closed later. You might do the open hood in various ways-- as a separate piece, or as short-rows, or just start knitting back and forth, and a 3-needle bind-off on top.

It's likely that you won't really be doing magic loop for most of the wrap -- magic loop is for cases where the circumference of your item is much less than the length of your cable.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-26-2008 - 1:49pm
Those are adorable.
Photobucket

July 15, 2008 - Decided on Social Servi

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 12:03pm

"You could pick up stitches and make an attached hood "

How would I pick the stitches up? I'm so new to this I feel like a total idiot! :)

Stacy

Beautiful Baby Girl

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 2:07pm
How to pick up stitches? Mostly you just pull the middle of the yarn through the edge where you're "picking up". I've done it, but I'm self-taught, so I don't know if there's a right way (or a right way to end the edge, so that it's easier to pick up). Mostly you want to get the picked up stitches about as close as your gauge requires. You can pick up stitches on any edge, but if it was a side edge (not the original knitting direction) it may be tougher to figure out the right number or spacing. On corners (as in sock heels) it can look better to pick up too many stitches, and then decrease to the desired number.
Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-18-2009 - 5:02pm

Stacy,

try finding a LYS and taking a class. Thats what I ended up doing and it helped me alot.

~Sam

~~Sam stitches well with others, runs with scissors in her pocket. Cheerful and stupid.