Confused!!!

iVillage Member
Confused!!!
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 12:13pm

Hi ladies,

So, as any of you know who have read my previous posts, I am trying depseratley to make this little newborn wrap thing. My starting point is JUST like a sock, so I'm trying to figure out how to do it toe-up. So I'm using this magic loop/judy's cast on thing where I do the figure 8 cast on and it will eventually make a nice little tube. Well, If you imagine the "tube" being more like a "square" I'm only getting two sides knit really nicely, and the other two sides don't connect well. It looks like the yarn is just holding these two sides together. I got so frustrated last night and undid all my knitting or I would have taken a picture to explain better. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and what I'm doing wrong? I'll try to knit a little and take a picture for more explanation. Thanks ladies!

Stacy

Beautiful Baby Girl

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 2:03pm

No, I don't understand real well. Any kind of circular knitting by any means tends to have a little trouble with the "join", which is the place either where you transition between using different needles (if working straight DPNs or two cicular needles) or between "front" and "back" of magic loop. Is that your problem?

If that's it, then it's more a matter of finnesse than anything. When you start the new section, you need to make sure there is not an excessive amount of slack since your last stitch. Often people find it works better to pull the SECOND stitch (of the new section) very snugly -- that will hold much better than pulling on the first stitch (which tends to loosen as you knit the second stitch). Another thing, when working circular needles, is that you can make sure the old stitch (before the join) is on the "cable" which is usually not as wide as the needle itself, so you can pull it even tighter.

Stretchy yarn is easier to work with in this regard than non-stretchy yarn, though both can be successfully knit in the round.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 2:44pm

Yep, that's what I'm talking about...the places where the whole thing joins together. If I pull too tight when I'm going from one side tot he next, its nearly impossible to move the stitches onto the needles from the wire in the middle, and if I can get them on, I can barely get the needle under the stitch to actually knit.

Stacy

Beautiful Baby Girl

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 7:28pm
Ok. What you've told me is that you've braketted the parameters. Now just work on how tight it needs to be, not too much or too little. And do your tightening on the second stitch, not the first. If possible, see if it looks like the same amount of yarn is on each stitch, counting the space between them, too.
Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-04-2009 - 12:31pm

I haven't been knitting long and don't explain things very well

Photobucket

July 15, 2008 - Decided on Social Servi

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-05-2009 - 6:00pm

Thanks you guys! I tried just pulling super tight on that second stitch and it seems to be working out :). Thanks so much!

Stacy

Beautiful Baby Girl

Photobucket