Question about a baby blanket

iVillage Member
Question about a baby blanket
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 9:28am
SO I want to make this baby blanket for a friend:
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/baby.html
but I was wondering if I could make it as one piece on circulars as opposed to the 7 panels (my joining skills need some improvement). I figure as long as I cast on 175 stitches it would be the same. Is 175 stitches on a circular too much? Would I get confused or would it be too heavy and awkward to maneuver? I've always followed patterns to a tee so any alterations make me nervous.
Photobucket /">

Photobucket
Community Leader
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 10:07am

Hi Barb! I am not really sure about the answers to your questions since I just started knitting on circulars, but I wanted to say what a beautiful blanket you have chosen to make! What color yarn are you using? I can't wait to see pictures of it when you finish.

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 5:07pm

I haven't tried anything that large, but I can break down the problem for you a bit better. Your two issues are length and weight. Can you get a circular needle long enough to handle 175 stitches? (Compare the finished width, and you do want your total needle length to be maybe 4" longer at a minimum.

Can you stand having most of the weight of the blanket to deal with at one time? I have heard that circs are better than straight needles in that regard, so this may be ok.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 6:21pm
Well I have done baby blankets on circs before. I think the one I currently have on the hook has a cast on of 140sts and I have room to spare. I tried this pattern out today just as a sample and I am making a lot of errors. I may be better off doing the panels just so I don't have to frog the whole thing. Also, my scallop isn't as deep and I think that might be something that can be adjusted when it is joined. I guess I better stick with panels. I have to put in a few more practice runs and I think I need to right the pattern out for the even rows b/c knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches isn't working for me to well. lol I think when there are stitches purled together they look a little different and it's making me think too hard. lol
I am not sure about the color yet or the yarn. I am also playing with that. I tried a sugar and cream cotton b/c my friend is very "organic", but it felt too stiff. Now I am trying a woolease which looks nicer, but I will most likely just practice until I get to the store and can see what else is out there that I might like. I know Lionheart has an organic, but I am not sure how soft it is or even what the weight is at this point.
Thanks again for answering my questions girls.
Photobucket /">

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-20-2009 - 3:11pm

I would make it all in one piece.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-23-2009 - 6:26pm
Oh wow--that dress is gorgeous!
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-24-2009 - 1:23pm
Thanks!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-18-2009 - 9:19pm
I meant to tell you that I love that dress. Your daughter is adorable in it. I also wanted to say thanks for encouraging me to try it as one piece, it is working out beautifully. I placed stitch markers along the way to mark off the pattern and that has done wonders for keeping my place. I can't wait until it's finished. I hope my friend loves it. Thank goodness she is not due until December though, lol.
Photobucket /">

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-19-2009 - 9:09am

hi, chiming in very late, not sure if this is helpful - i am knitting a blanket on 32 " circulars, and i have cast on 187 stitches, no problem. The yarn is worsted or slightly medium chunky, if that helps.

I would have gotten 36" circs if i could find them, but these are fine too. GL!! beautiful pattern!!

JennyJ8nny

Tighe
Kids
Ninja US

with Dh Tighe, 5 yo Jane, 2.5 yo Edgar Basil (Gerb), and Baby #3 EDD June/July

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket