Knitting in the back of the stitch?

iVillage Member
Knitting in the back of the stitch?
Mon, 05-11-2009 - 9:06pm

Hi!

I learned to knit from my mom years ago, and then picked it up again recently, with help from books. I found that i was knitting in the back of the stitch rather than the front of the stitch like i should be all this time. I have tried to get it right, but sometimes it is SO hard to knit in the front (like if i am knitting over a knit stitch i think?)

does it matter if i knit into the back of the stitch, as long as i am consistent? I couldnt see a difference, and my mother (i think she does it the right way, i am the only goof ;-) said it is the "same difference". BUT I think maybe it makes the stitch slant one way or another?

does anyone know if it is a big deal??

TIA!!

JennyPhotobucketPhotobucket

with Dh, 5 yo Jane, 2.5 yo Edgar B (Gerb), and Baby #3 EDD June/July

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-11-2009 - 11:36pm

Depends. I taught myself from books, & started knitting through the back of the stitch. It doesn't make much difference just knitting, but the stitches slant pretty well opposite when you're decreasing. You'll get a garment shaped the right way, no matter what you do, but if you do the "right" decrease, you can make things look a bit neater around the edge.

(Incidentally, you can look up "Eastern" knitting, and "combined" knitting. )

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-12-2009 - 8:59am

First, welcome to the board!

Jenn 

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-12-2009 - 9:13am

Now that I have a wee bit more time, I should clarify. There are multiple ways of knitting and anything that gets you the right product is good. The "right" product can be identified by looking at the bottom of the knit stitch (or the bottom of the back of the purl stitch.) The yarn should NOT cross itself. Think "upside-down U" verusus "upward swimming Christian fish symbol" The fish would be a "twisted knit" stitch (or the backside of a twisted purl).

About increasing & decreasing -- that's almost a whole book in itself. If you don't create the stitch in the "standard" way, the increases & decreases may be shaped differently. That's something you'd have to look closely to see, and generally does not affect the overall shape of what you're making. This is the sort of thing that I might call "ornamentation detail"

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-12-2009 - 10:19am

Thankls sp much ladies!! i am already working on breaking the habit!! and figuring out why and where it is easier, and that is helping me to recognize why i am doing it.

and thank you so much for the links about eastern knitting, etc - i will check them out. I am actually eastern european, and i think that is why i am a continental knitter, in this world of english knitters, LOL. ;-)

i have been doing a lot of research about incr3eases, so i know what you mean about that being important - whether i M1 left or M1 right, i would knit in the front or the back of a stitch.

I was just so happy to find out about these differnt increases, as the YO increases is just not so nice, kwim???

Thanks so much for the info!! :-)

JennyPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

with Dh Tighe, 5 yo Jane, 2.5 yo Edgar B (Gerb), and Baby #3 EDD June/July

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-12-2009 - 11:43am

YO is nice, too, if you want a lacy look. By definition it leaves a hole (very small if you deliberately twist the stitch). But having multiple options available has no drawbacks.

Really and truly, nothing is "wrong" if you like the product you're getting.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-12-2009 - 3:10pm
Yes, it can be nice for laciness, and it makes good buttonholes too!! But i didnt want 'holes' in this project i am working on, so i was so happy to learn the make one increase.
I will try twisting a yo sometime and see what I get!! thanks again!

JennyPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

with Dh Tighe, 5 yo Jane, 2.5 yo Edgar B (Gerb), and Baby #3 EDD June/July

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-26-2009 - 2:14pm

I haven't read the other replies, but knitting into the back of the stitch will twist the stitch unless of course you then knit into the back of the twisted stitch on the following row.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-26-2009 - 2:22pm

Thanks!! i dont know what is up, but it is actually MUCH more difficult for me to knit through the front of the loop (the normal way) than it is to knit through the back... \

Maybe we are all describing something different, as when i knit through the front, i go left to right, but when i knit thru the back, i go right to left?? that doesnt match up with what you are describing...

but anyway i have , since starting this thread, forced myself to get used to kniting the traditional way, thru the front (and left to right.). THanks!!

JennyJ8nny

Tighe
Kids
Ninja US

with Dh Tighe, 5 yo Jane, 2.5 yo Edgar Basil (Gerb), and Baby #3 EDD June/July

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket