My first 'big ' project started...i hope

iVillage Member
My first 'big ' project started...i hope
Mon, 05-11-2009 - 9:23pm

I have known how to knit for years, but never really got into it, and never made more than a scarf for my stuffed animals as a kid, lOL.

I knitted a scarf for a human last year ;-) and liked it. I am trying to get into it again now, and being pregnant, am (of course) making a baby blanket :-)

it has been hard getting started - i picked some chunkey bernat variegated yarn, and chose a busy stitch pattern. it was horrible, i should use a solid yarn with a busy stitch, or a plain stitch with a busy yarn, KWIM?

So i ditched that project and got some vannas choice yarn and am trying again. I wrote up a pattern that i think will be OK. Garter stich border in taupe and a basketweave in silver blue for the body. i THINK i got the math right, as i didnt have a pattern, just worked it out on paper.

The big problem is that i lose interest, and i think it is becuase i am using yucky old regular acrylic yarn, but i dont want to splurge yet, until i know i will 'stick with it', kwim?? I dont 'deserve' the good yarn yet ;-) altho i know it would make it more worth the effort, right??

any tips?? i just started my first row and hope to work to it each night... i have no idea how long it takes to make a approx 40 inch blanket, from worsted weight yarn.

WDYT??

JennyPhotobucketPhotobucket

with Dh, 5 yo Jane, 2.5 yo Edgar B (Gerb), and Baby #3 EDD June/July

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-13-2009 - 4:10pm
I say splurge! I am a self-labeled yarn snob and will only use natural fibers, preferably hand-dyed/painted. I just love the look and feel of this higher-end yarn--it gives me such satisfaction knitting with it and I don't get bored as easily. You don't have to spend a fortune either--check out www.littleknits.com or www.yarn.com and you can always get really good deals. That's where I buy all my yarn. If you go to the LYS, then, yes, you will spend a fortune--but if you go online, you really won't spend much more than you would at Michael's. And it will be sooo worth it.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-16-2009 - 7:39pm
Thanks so much, i will check out the sites. As it were, i didnt do another row on the blanket yet, LOL. I actually planned on stopping by this board to look for yarn snobs, ask for help, LOL i am a self proclaimed fabric snob, (quilting fabrics) so i DEFINITELY know what you mean, you want to work on the project more when it is excellent material. BUT i certainly didnt make my first quilt with expensive fabric, so i wasnt quite ready to get expensive yarn YET. I will check out the sites and see what i can come up with!! :-)

JennyJ8nny

Tighe
Kids
Ninja US

with Dh Tighe, 5 yo Jane, 2.5 yo Edgar Basil (Gerb), and Baby #3 EDD June/July

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket