sock supplies?

iVillage Member
sock supplies?
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 7:50am

Can anyone tell me who they recommend online to order supplies from?

iVillage Member
In reply to: chipper92
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 9:58am

I really like Knit Picks...tons of needles, books, beautiful sock yarn and sock blockers.

Jenn 

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-24-2009 - 12:26pm

i JUST found knit picks the other day, so i second that suggestion!! Check out my knit picks post above for the link. I got a size 2, 47" needle (for magic loop) and 2 size 2 circs, to make socks the other way. Also some really pretty wool yarn, quite reasonable.

i have never knit socks before, so i was pretty overwhelmed. I Did also get some sock yarn from joann.com, deborah norville and lion brand, which had semi decent reviews. I figured i am a beginner so i will try it. and at some point i hope to try making socks from worsted weight yarn, which of course i can get most anywhere. but definitely try knitpicks, i have not gotten them yet, but everywhere i look (online tutorials, reviews, etc) recommend them. prices & shipping great too.

PS!!! apparently the cable on the KP needles is so supple, you dont even need to get a super long one, altho i did. so look around the site for that info (pattern section) - you might want to stick with a 32 or 40 " one??? just a suggestion. i just went ahead and got a super long one since tutorials say the longer, the better.

GL!!!

JennyJ8nny

Tighe
Kids
Ninja US

with Dh Tighe, 5 yo Jane, 2.5 yo Edgar Basil (Gerb), and Baby #3 EDD June/July

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-26-2009 - 2:09pm

Knitpicks.com is a great source!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-27-2009 - 8:30am

I just ordered a 47" size 2 needle and some sock yarn from knitpicks, i cant wait to get it. If i like the needle, i will get more. I have never made socks, so i will try the various methods, as well as the magic loop.

i am also looking around, maybe at the dense interchangeable system - do you have any thoughts on it? are the knit picks very very good?? i am going to a LYS (70 miles away ) this weekend to check out the denise set, but of course the KPs are online only.

my big concern is how sharp they may be, sicne i am a pusher (see other post ;0-)

thanks for your comments, and any input you have!

JennyJ8nny

Tighe
Kids
Ninja US

with Dh Tighe, 5 yo Jane, 2.5 yo Edgar Basil (Gerb), and Baby #3 EDD June/July

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-02-2009 - 10:19am
Webs is also a great online source--www.yarn.com. For yarn, I also use www.littleknits.com--they usually have great specials too.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-11-2009 - 3:16pm

The Denise Needles are plastic and the cable is not as thin and flexible as the Knitpicks.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker