Any pushers?

iVillage Member
Any pushers?
Tue, 05-26-2009 - 2:32pm

I am a new knitter (picked it up again after many years)

I have learned that i am a pusher - i push on the point of my left needle with every stitch, to push the stitches back and drop my loop. This kind of bruises my index finger, and i am pretty nervous since i have some new needles on order, which apparently are pretty sharp, and therefore hard on pushers like myself.

anyone else a pusher? did you build up a callous? So far it is just kind of tender, as my current needles are not THAT sharp.

But I have tried a thimble, but that was awkward. a bandage worked well, but i hated keeping it on all day. By now, i am OK without anything. But with these sharper needles, i am not looking forward to building up a BIG callous, like i did for quilting long ago (and that one is the wrong finger)

To those who do NOT push, describe how you maneuver to get the stitches off the needles, etc, TIA!! I;ve tried just pulling to get the stitch to slide, but it just doesnt happen. i think i am a TIGHT knitter, and i need to push 'em off.

JennyJ8nny

Tighe
Kids
Ninja US

with Dh Tighe, 5 yo Jane, 2.5 yo Edgar Basil (Gerb), and Baby #3 EDD June/July

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
In reply to: j8nny
Wed, 05-27-2009 - 8:46am

Knitting tightly might be the habit you want to break. If the yarn is very stretchy, that can really screw up your gauge, and if you want to do lace, that's a horrible set-up for k3tog.

FWIW, I've loosened my knitting, and just pull the stitches off -- another advantage is that I can feel when this happens, and hardly need to see the stitches to do them. (I only really need to look to remember where I am in the pattern.) This is a great advantage when working with dark, fuzzy, or otherwise hard-to-see yarns.

Alternatively -- you say you've tried a thimble, but I bet you mean metal or ceramic. Did you know that some antique thimbles were made of thin leather? Maybe you can find an old leather glove in a thrift store, and just cut off a little cap to use for your finger.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-27-2009 - 9:06am

Actully, i used a leather thimble - being a quilter, i have a huge thimble collection ;-)

Yes, i am definitely wanting to knit more loosely (you are awesome by the way, helping me to break my bad habits ;-) That is one of the most helpful things i am getting from this board :-)

I am just slightly at a loss tryng to figure out how to knit more loosely, (LOL i am so high stress i guess! Juast kidding.
Problem is that i am also a knotted-lace maker, and you pull quite tightly for that.) it seems so insecure. i am sure as i knit more, and get into the relaxing process, it will happen.

Tyhanks again!!!

JennyJ8nny

Tighe
Kids
Ninja US

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-27-2009 - 9:34am

How to knit loosely? Stop pulling on your yarn. The needles come in different sizes because they have a purpose other than just holding the stitches -- they're also there to measure a constant size stitch. If you want smaller stitches, just use a smaller needle.

I was originally pulling after every stitch, to snug up the yarn again, so the answer was "Don't DO that!" If you're pulling constantly on the end, or keeping the tension such that you can make music by plucking the yarn, then you'll need to work on that. You don't really need much tension to work; just enough so that you can pull the loop through the stitch.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-28-2009 - 2:30am
I used to push the needles like that, but it was an issue with tension. I'm a fairly snug crocheter, which is where that habit originated. I have been able to relax which has somewhat relaxed my crocheting - to a degree. I found that working the yarn just at that point beyond the taper of the needle tip helped me. The yarn stays on the straight part of the needle. It helps me avoid knitting too snugly. I also pull the yarn back when I move the stitch off, but that's because I'm trying to keep my gauge remotely close to the same with each stitch. I still end up with stitches that are loose, but not nearly as often as before. You'll find that as you relax and get the hang of the stitches, your work will relax as well. I think the only reason I have relaxed is the repetition of this garter stitch baby towel I've been working on for a year now. It's forced me to be patient with it and myself, and my progress is reflected in the stitches.
As I think about this while typing to you, I think as I wrap the yarn and pull back, I hold the working yarn against the right needle so it doesn't produce a loose stitch, which then allows me to have just enough slack in the stitch to pull it off the left needle using the right needle. I do pull the yarn a bit if the stitch seems looser than the others, but not so snug that the rows beneath it are jammed up against the right needle.
I hope I'm making some kind of sense here. It's incredibly late and I should've gone to bed already.
~Trish

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
--old Irish blessing

Irish siggy courtesy beaches59

~Trish

the rains fall soft upon your
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-28-2009 - 7:24am

thanks so much! most of it made perfect sense, and i will get out my knitting and try the other part (holding the wrapped thread against the needle) to sdsee if i know what you mean. I have been trying to knit loosely, and just yank the loop off, rather than slide and push, and it is going ~ok~ - it is hard becuae iwth this pattern of Ks and Ps, each stirch goes differently, kwim? some are good, some are still tight, some are quite loopy, even tho i am about the sme tension. but since i am k-ing into a P or a K or p-ing into a k or a P haphazarfly (mistake rib) it is hard to get it even!!

i should try a swatch of garter or ST st and see how it goes.

thanks again!! this is all so helpful to me. i am sure as i get a rhythym i will relax and get loooser. (but then we'll see what a mess my tatted lace is when i go back to that craft LMBO, it needs to be tight ;-)

JennyJ8nny

Tighe
Kids
Ninja US

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 1:45am
*phew* oh good. glad I didn't confuse you more! If you want me to, I can take some video of me knitting this towel (last few rows!!!) and email it to you. If you want me to do that, just email me through my profile.
~Trish

the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
--old Irish blessing

Irish siggy courtesy beaches59

~Trish

the rains fall soft upon your
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-29-2009 - 4:24am

Yes, i would like to see that, i will email you!! I have another Q, as i have been working on my loose knitting ;-)

SOMETIMES i can get the stitch to slide off the needle with just a tug, but othertimes (maybe knitting into a purl? i fdont remember. but SoME instance) it just is NOT going to happen, and i have to push. :(

should i be kniting RIGHT at the tips of my needles??? cuz that is like the only way for it to happen every time (that the stitch slides off). And then, if i do knit like that, the stitches will often go slinding off the needle in a landslide, LOL.

WDYT?? thanks!

JennyJ8nny

Tighe
Kids
Ninja US

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

+ Jenny +

Dh Tighe
6.5 yo DD Jane
4 yo DS Edgar
1.5 yo DS Hugo
Baby #4 due 08/14/11

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 12:32am
The needles come in various sized because they're supposed to act as spacers. Every stitch should be able to go over the widest part of the needle. Having done so, you might pull the stitch closer to the tip, to get the other needle in, but after that, there should be fully room for the old loop and the new loop to both be fully over the widest parts of each needle. Then you can pull the stitch off. If you cannot pull the stitch off, without working on the very tips, you're still being too tight. You might want to start with a stretchier yarn, but when you do that, you make sure that the yarn on the needle is not stretched at all, as it hangs.
Cthulu Crochet