Size '0' Knitting Needles?

iVillage Member
Size '0' Knitting Needles?
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 12:09am

I've recently found some knitting patterns I would love to try at knitting pattern central. One catch. Some of them call for size 0 needles! the only needles I've found that size were double pointed.

Are there any size 0 needles out there that aren't double pointed or should I just suck it up and buy them? The Wal-Mart here (which I dearly hate) has cut their crafts department to nothing. Literally! The only other place in town which would be making a killing if they could afford to keep things stocked literally has nothing! The next best place is 40 miles away.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 12:35am
Size zero is most often used with socks, so I'm not surprised you're finding only double-pointed needles. You ought to be able to special order some circular needles from Knitpicks or something. I'm not sure about traditional straight needles. Metal ones might be too inclined to bend, and wood/bamboo/plastic to snap if you hold them too tightly.
Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 8:18am

That's what I was afraid of. I want to make a doily so bad but I haven't got the skills to crochet one yet and knitting seems to be much easier.

Have been practicing crocheting but still have a long way to go. A friend told me to work it like I read it but even when I do that I get to the point of 'huh?'

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 8:59am

I just had the craziest idea! Ya know those bamboo skewers that you sometimes use when making shishkabobs and stuff? Why couldn't I take some sandpaper and sand a couple of them a little and then sand over the sharp tip to round it out a little and use one of those? Then who cares if one gets broken, it's not like I don't have more to use. The object is NOT to break one because then I could be up a real creek with the project.

What do you think of that idea? My h has tons of sand paper in his shop and I think I have some here from things I've worked on. that reminds me...I really need to take the trim off around the window that I painted white and rough up the trip and paint it white too. (H put it up to help keep the plastic that we put over the window in place but cheap brown trim and a white window does not look good together. Maybe later in the week, it's supposed to rain the next two days.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 9:14am

Nothing to lose if you try. You might try to add an "end" to the thing out of clay or epoxy or something.

I did read on the internet (quite a few years ago) of someone who was really into lace, and started working with thread and I think straightened paper clips, because she couldn't find needles thin enough to please her.

Remember that the worst thing that can happen is that you lose some material. If it's that expensive, you find something cheap to experiment with first; otherwise, just try and see.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 9:40am

No offense to those who are really good and do go for the more expensive stuff but...who would be crazy enough to go for expensive thread, yarn or fabric when they are just learning how to do something. There's somethings that I know how to do and I still won't buy the expensive stuff!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 9:48am

I just found this site, I haven't ordered from them yet but it looks like they have great prices and free shipping if you order over $15.

Photobucket

July 15, 2008 - Decided on Social Servi

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 10:04am

Thanks for the site! That looks like a great deal and exactly where I can get what I need!

I don't think I would go for the whole set because a few years ago a friend was cleaning out her craft room and came across some old Sears sets of interchangeable knitting needles and I have a lot from there as well as a few that I picked up because I was working on something and wanted to try something new so I had to buy another set to start it.

I will definitely be ordering some soon! I want to try out the bamboo skewers first to see if I like knitting something that small before I invest in something.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 11:48am

>who would be crazy enough to go for expensive thread, yarn or fabric when they are just learning how to do something.

That would depend on a lot of things. First, would using the "right" stuff make things easier? In that case, going cheap would be a waste of time. (Standard advice for guitar players -- learn on a GOOD guitar because a shoddy one is harder to play, you'll learn less, and likely give up for no other reason than hating THAT instrument)

Second, is your own time scarce and valued? If so, and if you think what you're doing is likely to work, you might consider making the cheap substitute a waste of time because by THEN you're very likely to have exactly what you want.

Third -- the same reason we buy $20 sock yarn. Even if the rate is expensive, if you don't need much of it, who cares?

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-01-2009 - 2:21pm

Thanks for pointing that out to me because you are absolutely right! I know there's been times I was working on something and didn't follow the instructions at some point because I liked something else better and paid for it in the end.

Granted you may have to really pay for something that you might not use much of but you'll always have it for the next time or if you have it and someone needs some and maybe they have something of what you need, it makes for great trading and in the long run it does pay off.

I took the kids to my least fav store but in a different town and found size 2 knitting needles and man are they small! I saw some bamboo skewers and put them beside the size 2's and they were about the same size. As of this point, the idea of doing something that calls for a size 0-1 just doesn't appeal to me quite as much.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-02-2009 - 10:12am
Yeah I think you have to order those online. I recommend knitpicks and www.yarn.com. YOu'll probably have to do size 0 circulars.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Pages