Sock help

iVillage Member
Sock help
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 12:07pm
Ok maybe I am just a little on the dense side but I'm confused. I found a pattern for socks done on two needles which works for me cause I've never done socks before and I can only image trying to work more than two needles with a toddler. Anyway my problem is one section of the instructions doesn't make sense. Here is the pattern http://www.lindascraftique.com/free/tnsocks.htm the portion that doesn't make sense is this:
Make instep:
K48, turn, p32. Working on center 32 sts continue in stocking st until instep measures 4.5(5.5,6.5)"
So I am assuming that I just continue working the 32 sts that are purled but the worded it's worded is making me doubt that cause it says the center 32 sts. Hopefully I made some form of sense. Typing and making sense is not easy with a helper :)

Photobucket Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: cherri_blossom
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 11:40am

ok i think i can answer this for you since you're doing the instep of the foot, yes you work on just that 32 stitches in ST stitch for the length required.
i'm not used to doing socks that way i tend to go for magic loop or in some cases using DPNS.

if it makes sense you could do socks using a circular needle using a very basic pattern minus the need for a seam

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 2:44pm
Thank you. I was going to try and learn to make socks using DPNs but I'm not sure my daughter will let me. I'm afraid that she will pull one needle out while my hands are full with another lol.

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 3:04pm

try magic loop then if you're worried about your little one yanking needles out.
its pretty easy to learn after having my kids snatch my good dpns and my toddler broke one in half (i love him or he would have been sent to ebay lol)

i'm currently running a pair of socks on 2 separate needles doing magic loop

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 2:26am
I'm working on learning the DPN's at the moment. Dh went out and got them for me cause evidently I have been mumbling lol. I do want to learn magic loop too though so that might be my next project. All knitting is done while my little terror is sleeping at the moment. Especially after she ran around the living room with the ball of yarn I was working with. It was so funny I couldn't even be mad at her :)

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 1:25pm

if its anything i have a yarn jug i bought that i can keep my working yarn in and if its not too full i can shove my project in(want to know how many times i forgot to do that before i said thats it i quit)

how is your sock coming along?

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 1:02am
I have a big plastic storage tote that I keep my yarn in and since I don't have a lot I also keep the projects I am working on in it too. My living room is sectioned off so it's a giant play pen for little miss and I keep the tote just outside the living room.
I found a tutorial called Silvers sock class that's free so I am working on that. So far I have about a inch of my sock done lol. Knitting can really only be done during nap or bedtime at the moment so progress is very slow going.

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket