Eat These and Watch Pounds Drop

iVillage Member
Eat These and Watch Pounds Drop
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 11:46pm

I just came across this information and thought I'd share it......

Trying to lose weight? Go ahead and spoil your appetite. It makes sense to nibble on these foods before you eat.

Fat. Did we say fat? Yes, but we're talking about the good kind: unsaturated fat. Eating some healthy fat 25 to 30 minutes before a meal can keep you from reaching for servings the size of an elephant's ear. Eating good fats stimulates the production of a hormone called cholecystokinin (no wonder it's usually called CCK). It's released when fat hits the wall of your small intestine, signaling your brain that you're not as hungry as you thought. Then, it keeps you feeling full by slowing the emptying of your stomach. All you need is about 70 calories of healthy fat -- 6 walnuts, 12 almonds, or 20 peanuts. But try not to have a beer or glass of wine with your nutty appetizer. Alcohol shoos away leptin, another hormone that also helps turn off your appetite.

Apples, pears, mangosteens, or other juicy, high-fiber fruits. (Mangosteens? They're like dark-red peach-plums, and they're prized in Asia.) These fruits are nature's true diet pills -- you know, foods that help you lose even more weight when you diet. When a group of women dieters had fruit before three meals daily, they lost more weight than fruit-free dieters . . . even though they all ate the same number of calories. Choose fruit that's high in fiber but low in calories, which generally means fruits that are high in water content (think apples or, yes, mangosteens, not bananas).

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 12:36am
Thanks Cappy, interesting!! Well, they don't allow them into the US, so I guess hubby and I will have to go back to HI to get some. Oh, darn!! LOL

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 12:34am
Let us know if you find any, what they taste like, how expensive, etc.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 10:37pm

Thanks Cappy and Donna and Suzan!

Thinking I need to go to the fruit market this afternoon and I will see if I can buy one of these.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 3:02pm

I found this to be interesting about the mangosteen fruit.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/completeazindex/a/mangosteen1.htm

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 3:37pm

Don't count on it! I eat almonds every day and drink water with most meals..still have the weight thing going on..LOL!! I'll have to remember to drink water BEFORE my meal and that'll do it! We'll both be skinny very soon!! LOL

Thanks for the photo, that is one odd looking fruit! I doubt I'd ever find one around here and if I did, it would be too high priced to buy!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 3:08pm

sounds good to me,, I'll try a handful of almonds bifore dinner, and with my glass of water I'll be thin in no time ;O)

Here is the mangosteen for those who are curious,