It's not just in the shaker

iVillage Member
It's not just in the shaker
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 6:48am

http://www.ivillage.com/it-s-not-just-shaker/121540

6 Surprisingly Salty Food Groups to Avoid

It�s Not Just in the Shaker

• It’s Not Just in the Shaker

If you want to do your heart a big favor, cut the salt.  A recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine finds that if every American had about a half-teaspoon less daily, it could reduce the annual number of new cases of coronary heart disease by 60,000; stroke by 32,000 and heart attacks by 54,000. A pinch less salt could also add up to some big healthcare savings: up to $24 billion. (Most of us actually consume more than the recommended daily limit of 2,300 mg., or about a teaspoon). But it's not as easy as skipping the salt shaker--about 75 percent of the sodium we consume comes from processed foods, say researchers. A new Institute of Medicine report recommends the government set new standards for acceptable levels, and the FDA said it does plan to work with manufacturers to cut salt in food products over the next decade. What to do in the meantime? â€œGenerally, the farther away you get from boxed or other prepared foods, the less salt you will consume, and the healthier you will be,” says Kristin Kirkpatrick, a registered dietitian with the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Here are some common culprits to avoid.

—by Joan Raymond

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 8:01pm

I never add salt to foods except for eggs and fresh tomatoes. Have to have a little salt on those! So, I figure I don't eat excessive amounts of salt for I don't eat that many canned foods. I buy low salt canned veggies and rinse off canned legumes. I can tell when I have to cut down, though, for my ankles begin to swell. Right now

Photobucket