Are your moods normal?

iVillage Member
Are your moods normal?
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 2:52pm

Are My Moods Normal?

Stacey Colino ON Apr 27, 2009 at 12:00AM

Getty Images

Life can be rocky—and so can your feelings. Sometimes you may feel downbeat, anxious or fearful. In most cases, you probably endure these emotions, knowing they’ll soon pass. But how can you tell if your mood shifts are a normal response to what’s going on in your life, like financial or job stress, or signs of a clinical condition that warrants treatment? After all, it’s no secret that women are at least two times more likely to experience depression or anxiety than men.

“It’s normal to have some mood variation during the day,” says psychologist Carol Landau, Ph.D., a clinical professor of psychiatry and medicine at the Alpert Medical School at Brown University and author of The New Truth About Menopause. “Most people have good moods and bad moods and good days and bad days. While it’s one thing to feel sad or anxious for hours, maybe days, and connect it to a loss or stress in your life, it’s another to feel like you can’t pull yourself out of this.”.

The best way to think of mood and anxiety issues is on a continuum, looking at the frequency, severity and duration of your symptoms, says Landau. Part of making the judgment call between what’s normal and what’s not involves determining whether your emotional symptoms are interfering with your ability to function at work, at home or in life. Just as important, are your feelings impeding your ability to enjoy yourself?

You owe it to yourself to ask these questions, because if you do have a mood or anxiety disorder, the sooner you get treatment, the better you’ll feel and fare. Until you get help, these conditions can have potentially serious consequences for your physical and emotional health. Read on to get a pulse on what’s normal—and what’s not—in the way of emotional ups and downs.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 6:06pm

What moods?? LOL!! I think they're normal, J might think differently..LOL!!

Seriously, my moods are normal and

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-26-2010 - 7:46pm
I am very laid back....my mood is usually good...I don't have much in the way of mood swings....I am usually happy....lol...

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 4:10pm
Life is wayyyy too short to be so moody...
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 7:23pm

Of course it cleared up his foul moods. . .kept him in the bathroom out of your way, LOL! ;-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 7:29pm

When I think about it, I don't remember ever being a teen or young woman in my 20s with mood swings. I was actually pretty low-key, especially when I compare myself to my daughter.

Right about the time I hit 38 was when my moods were all over the map (thank you peri-menopause) and then they leveled out about the time I was 47. Seems like once I hit menopause and post, I'm back to being a lot calmer, not as depressed nor angry at the snap of the fingers. Feels nice.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 1:24pm
That is very interesting about your husband's thirst and moods!! Good you figured it out! I know that's true of hunger as when the blood sugar takes a nose dive, moods change. When I'm hungry to the point of feeling weak, I become easily irritated from lack of patience or trouble concentrating.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 6:58pm

Im not at all moody,im always smiling and i laugh alot.

Von.