Stay Young Smoothie

iVillage Member
Stay Young Smoothie
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 8:28am

Well this looks very healthy so decided to share it here in our healthy happy me folder....   this calls for "organic" but use whatever fruit you buy.. ;O)

Whole Living

Stay-Young Smoothie

Body+Soul

Stay-Young Smoothie

When nutritionists talk about anti-aging foods, they're referring to foods that help prevent conditions such as osteoporosis, inflammation, and cancer. This smoothie is loaded with long-term-health boosters. The berries and green tea are potent sources of antioxidants, and the ground flaxseed is full of inflammation-fighting omega-3s. It also contains yogurt, a source of bone-strengthening calcium and immune-supporting probiotics. Blend it for breakfast, and the vitamins, protein, and fiber will provide lasting energy for whatever comes your way.

Recipe
Makes one 14-ounce smoothie

1/2 cup frozen organic blueberries
1/2 cup frozen organic strawberries
1/2 cup chilled green tea, unsweetened
3/4 cup plain low-fat organic yogurt
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
Turbinado sugar or other natural sweetener to taste

Combine all ingredients in an electric blender and blend on medium speed until smooth, about 20 seconds. Garnish with fresh berries and serve. Note: For a nondairy alternative, you can substitute cultured soy for the yogurt.

Power Pack
Supplements can give your smoothie even more rejuvenating benefits. Add any of these, or try all four.

Lecithin can increase your body's acetylcholine levels, helping to guard against memory loss. Try adding 1 to 2 grams (1 to 2 level tablespoons) of granular or liquid lecithin.

Vitamin E can nourish the skin, help maintain healthy cholesterol levels, and ease symptoms of perimenopause. Add 400 IU of vitamin E or 80 mg of tocopherols and tocotrienols. Squeeze gelcaps to release liquid into the smoothie.

Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant and immune booster. Try adding 200 mg of powdered vitamin C or crushed chewable vitamin C tablets.

Astragalus Root helps ward off bacterial and viral infections to boost immunity -- a must if you're tired or stressed. Use 200 to 400 mg (or 1 to 2 teaspoons of alcohol-free extract) daily.

First Published: April/May 2005

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 1:11am

Sounds good, but I don't want to be bothered making it, especially in the morning. I'll just drink my high pulp orange juice and eat my fresh fruits plain or in cereal with skim milk.

Ouuu..I need to get some lecithin for the slipping memory!

I wish "they'd" make up their minds on vitamin E! First we had to take it daily and then no-no stop taking it or you'll curl up and die or whatever..lol..geez!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 5:19am
I just throw everything in the blender, don't measure (blushing),,, and churn & drink.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 8:37am
mmmmm... that sounds yummy......I have everything , except for the ground flaxseed !!! Where do ya get that ? At an health food store or a vitamin store !!! Geez, I just ordered my Omega-3, vit E, ..should look at thier catalog..see if they have it !
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 2:57pm
Flaxseed is really healthy, we use it all the time. I throw it in smoothies and on cereal, and in salads, soups.. etc...