New Anti-DepressionWorkout RX

iVillage Member
New Anti-DepressionWorkout RX
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 9:24am

Let me know what you think:

According to iVillage Health: A new study shows exercise may succeed where Prozac cannot. "

"Anyone who’s ever felt her tension ease away after a hard run, or hit the Spin bike to pedal away stress after a bad break-up, or fled to yoga after a ball-busting day at work knows that physical exercise can have a major impact on mood. Now, science is backing it up. New research out of Southern Methodist University and Boston University indicates that exercise is a "magic drug" for many people suffering from depression and anxiety, and may come in particularly handy in situations where the traditional treatments of cognitive behavioral therapy and medication are not available or too pricey." READ MORE:  The New Anti-Depression Workout RX

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 6:09am

I just had to bump this!

How true is this!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 1:40pm

I agree; exercise is a great "high"! I always feel better after going for a walk or swimming--just being outside even when I'm working like mowing the grass or other tasks.

I was prescribed an antidepressant when I was diagnosed w/fibromyalgia--it did more than help with depression, it helped calm my nerve endings, but I no longer take it. It does have it's place, but is often over prescribed like a lot of other medicines.

Michelle/mica_ga

Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.

--Rubin, Theodore Isaac

Michelle/mica_ga

Kindness is more important than wisdom,

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 8:54pm

This is totally true!! Regular exercise can help ward off depression and anxiety and if a person is not regular at exercise and feels anxiety or depression coming on...get out and take a long brisk walk!! If you wait until depression

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 5:36am
I agree, although I don't have a gym to go to now,, but I like to just go out for a walk (or a stroll) in the forest and the calm and cool and beauty and little critters really make me think about things.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 5:41am

I have taken meds for my nerve endings too, not sure what it was.. gasp but it helps, and kind of zipped them back to normal.

I'm glad you have found a way to cope and treat your fibromyalgia.