Eating disorder or not?

iVillage Member
Eating disorder or not?
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 8:57pm

What do you think?  Is this a healthy eating behavior, extremely picky, wisely selective or an abnormal obsession?

Makes one wonder if naming this behavior as disorder might have deep impact upon some people to throw their hands up and indulge more than normal in fast foods, fats, sugars etc.

What are your thoughts?

Now off to have a chocolate kiss.  MWAHHH!!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/orthorexia/MY00768

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 1:14pm

Oh that's interesting,, another name for something...

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 3:20pm

I think it actually falls into the OCD category than an eating disorder.

Granted, I have tailored my diet a lot over the past several years, but that is because I feel a lot better doing so. I rarely red meat because of the hormones and the lack of care taken of the food during processing. Personally I feel much better not having that unwanted stuff in my system.

I'm not against fat, sugar or salt as long as I keep my consumption at a reasonable level, but I wouldn't cut it out completely. I'm also like you when it comes to fruits and veggies, as long as you wash thoroughly, there really is no need to peel. We can't purify our food system anymore unless you grown it yourself and even the soil, feed and water has impurities in it. Even the air we breathe.

Thought it was an interesting affliction.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 2:41pm

Interesting topic for discussion! You and Suzan bring up good points that I agree with. Any obsession can make one's life more difficult and some can be annoying for others in their lives.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 5:27pm

Selective Eating Disorder is something I discovered recently when trying to determine if my son is just picky...or has problems. Here's an article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_eating_disorder

I spoke to his pediatrician about it and he said that it's possible he does have a slight eating disorder but rather than "label" it, he said my son was just a little obsessive about eating. Kinda like labeling him without a label?

My 9 yr old is very picky about his food...something he likes today, he may hate tomorrow. He refuses to try things...but usually once he's tried something, he'll like it (even if only for a limited amount of time...until he changes his mind again). He's insistent that we eat fish on Friday...and if we're away from home for something (ie: cub scout mtg), he MUST have it on Saturday. He had a fit last night because I made pasta instead of tacos "we always have tacos before pasta!" he says. I have no idea where he gets this obsessive behavior.

He was always picky as a lil kid and his doc said not to make dinner a battleground so we didn't. But sometimes I think we should've pushed a bit because I'm concerned this obsessive behavior will make him "weird" once he starts hanging out with other kids his age.

I do believe he has SED and I think anyone that gets overly obsessive about healthy foods could possibly be "labeled" in the same thing too. Never heard of "orthorexia".

I'm sure all of us can be slightly obsessive about many things in our lives...but when that obsession is detrimental to your health - that's when it's a disorder. Could obsessive healthy eating be a disorder? IMHO, only if it is taken to such a degree that it becomes unhealthy (ie: person refuses to eat for days because they can't get the healthy food).

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 11:31am

Very interesting information and link, thank you for posting!!

My oldest grandson, age 10,

Photobucket