ZAP! It got me............

iVillage Member
ZAP! It got me............
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 6:08am

I posted this on my Joyful Home board, but think it might be of interest here too...

natural ways to rid the area of mosquitos....  and they show up everywhere!

Repellents are yucky leaving the skin coated with icky chemicals so here are some alternatives and a lot safer than icky chemicals.  Please share any other tips for naturally repelling mosquitos that you have found to work. 

1. Female mosquitos like to lay eggs in water sources, so keep the birdfeeder and ponds away from your terrace. Water in pet  bowls should be changed daily. 

2. Mosquitoes dislike the scent of: catnip, rosemary, citronella grass, lavender, cinnamon, and peppermint—while you landscape , keep it in mind.  Containers of any of these plants placed stragecally around the terrace help also.

3. In case you also have vampires in your garden: rub a cut clove on your skin, or mix 1:5 garlic juice /water in a spray bottle, shake, and spritz it on. True that isn't the best solution if you're planning a romantic evening for the man in your life. LOL

4. While BBQ'ing, put rosemary and sage directly onto the coals

5.  here is a spray for your skin:  Mix 1.-25 drops of essential oil (lemon , eucalyptus, cinnamon , and caster oil) with 2 TBS of EVOO or other cooking oil on hand, pour in a spray bottle.

6. Avoid being outside 30 minutes before and after dawn adn dusk, mosquitoes  LOVE that time of day also. 

7.  don't water the lawn at night.  It raises the activity of the mosquitos

8.  Mosquitos like dark clothing so think light and white for outdoors

9.  don't need to remind you that the mosquito doesn't know you from a flower so avoid flowery perfumes, soaps, scented deos and hair spray when you'll be outside.

10. Deter those pesky critters with crushed parsley mixed in a bottle of apple cider, you can rub it on your skin.

11.  Bats LOVE  mosquitoes and they have voracious appetities.  

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 9:45am
Good ideas. I like the one that will make me smell of cloves (not so much the one that would leave me smelling of garlic).